View Single Post
Gwenfro Culvert - Wrexham, NE Wales
(#1)
Old
Gobby w***er

Default Gwenfro Culvert - Wrexham, NE Wales - 28-05-2010, 14:18

This is my first report... go easy. That said, constructive criticism is welcome.

We kicked off in the afternoon with JG and his mate Buttons arriving at mine. After a bit of banter and a brew we headed out.

This culvert is in 2 parts, divided by a small open section running alongside but below an old Mill that has been converted into Houses and apartments. The access to the culvert is about as easy as it gets, if you don't mind some odd looks. We were heading upstream on this trip.

Heading towards the first section, it's a little overgrown, but still passable.

After passing into the first section, you find that the Concrete outer passes into a smaller bricklined passage. Unfortunately this was about 4 feet at the center, and with a silted up outflow, it was a fair old stoop. Thankfully the silt passed quite quickly, and the stoop was lessened.

Upon exiting the first culverted section, you find the stream widens and gets quite rocky underfoot. a few strategically placed holes to catch you out too.

At the outfall to the 2nd culvert, the water deepened considerably. This was going to be a problem, as someone only had wellies. Ahem... whoops! I decided to hell with it, since I had figured I would get wet at some point in the day, and went for it... for about 10 yards. That was very cold water, and it was a very long culvert. I wouldn't have lasted until the end. Waders are on my shopping list for next month.

Heading back, we got a few more pictures in the first culvert.

After getting changed, and doing some extreme UE in McDonalds, we headed out to find the infall of the 2nd culvert. I knew where the river ran, and we followed it downstream, only to run into a Helipad.

We decided to call it a day at that point, as JG had things to do, and culverts are not as time sensitive as building sites etc.

So, there you go. Apologies for the pictures, I couldn't find my Wider angle lens in the morning, and this was my first time shooting in with a river lapping at the bottom of my tripod in the pitch black. The next set will be better as this really needs to be revisited.

NewStuff