View Single Post
ARCHIVE: The Dominoes August 2009
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Arrow ARCHIVE: The Dominoes August 2009 - 16-08-2009, 20:47

I suppose every thread in high places should really start with it's not exactly Blackpool tower !, so here goes.
Its not exactly Blackpool tower but never the less its been an adrenalin fueled afternoon conquering the dominoes.
It must be well over 25 years since i first encountered these brick pillars, once a magnificent railway bridge which joined the line running across Standish viaduct, thanks to good old Dr Beeching both lines were closed & the bridges left to rot, for some reason this particular bridge had its span removed.
After Big jobs, Over & Andyj wet our appetite last November with an abseil off Standish viaduct, me & Morrisey have been hatching a plan to conquer these structures known locally as the dominoes.
After a good 1/2 hour of clearing the area, Morrisey set about casting a golf ball attached to 30lb fishing line over the pillar, about 30 cast later EUREKA!! the golf ball sailed majestically over the pillar in exactly the right place.
First we pulled a throwing line over then pulled the 2 static ropes over tied off onto some study trees.
After doing the initial climb I carpeted the corners put the kettle on then waited for Morrisey to join me for a civilised cup of tea.
A great afternoon that will definitely be repeated as we've left the carpet & fishing line in place.
Oh by the way we measured it, 70' 9"

Gone fishing

BRAPPO!!!!!!!

We came down a bit faster than this dude