View Single Post
(#2)
Old
Fromt posh part of Bolton

Default 05-04-2011, 23:53

It was a good mooch, shame the tunnel was locked. The tunnel, im sure those who are local will know exactly where it is. It indeed formed part of the Bolton to Leigh Railway opened by William Hulton in the 1800's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_and_Leigh_Railway - the railway line or what remains of it (just some nice stone work) runs over the tunnel and I believe the innerds of the tunnel was used to supply the nearby collieries. The history is very very rare on this occasion and may require a trip to the local history archives. The brickwork both inside and out is fantastic but it is now used for water main pipes (now owned by UU). On our way back we thought it was a wasted journey but we stumbled across the newly discovered stone culvert (I was jumping with joy!!!!), it runs underneath the old railway line, i have tried to find some history on it but with no such luck, its never been discovered before until now we will be going back when its a bit drier because I want to see where it goes. P.s It was full of bloody spiders anybody fancy it let us know (it looks brilliant), ive got naming rights but not yet named it........ - I took a couple of pics of the tunnel but apologies for the quality as I was excited lol
(By no means are the two tunnels linked as they are in totally seperate areas)

It's Dark and Hell is Hot........

Last edited by Kenni; 06-04-2011 at 00:11.