View Single Post
(#8)
Old

Default 11-06-2010, 21:21

watcha timecoast. sorry not been around due to technical fuck ups involving teenagers.

when first heard about Weston i did some serious digging around and asking of the WW2 history community, and it seems that weston is a bit of no info site. Weston isn't even listed in the official POW camps records, these referring only to the main camps themselves. satellites would only be referred to in internal papers, probably all held at Kew in boxes upon boxes and never sorted, or were destroyed after the war due to lack of room.

Weston is definitely a sattelite camp to Crewe Hall which held German and Italian [I think] prisoners, which were then probably moved to weston when the GI's took over the hall in the run up to DDay.

As Weson was light security I think it held those POW's that could be trusted, and were shipped out for the week to work on local farms.

The only chance you have is to try and pin down the guy at English Heritage who did some work on POW camps and did cover weston [info never published to my knowledge] but he doesn't tend to answer queries. or to head to Kew and start reading. i suggest staying away from the side where the family history is if you go at weekends, the word chaos does spring to mind.

Good luck

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?