View Single Post
(#17)
Old

Default 25-08-2010, 00:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edus1 View Post
If you have to ask that then thats even worse!!!

Think of the fall factors involved. You have 2 ropes stretched out straight and loaded mid way. Think when you load that rope it is going to stretch and go no where near a natural hanging point so all the load is transfered direct to the ancor points. The load on the rope and ancors is unbelivable. If a rope snaps you have one hell of a swing which then gives a massive fall factor on to the next ancor point which will enevitably snap. If you are going to hang over the middle of a shaft rig a Y hang. Even if the y is very long to reach ancor points it is still the strongest way and if an ancor gives you only have a very small swing and stops shock loading the next ancor point.

Please read Life on a line and you will understand exactly what is wrong with your rigging. Your not only endangering your own life but anyone else who dangles off it.

If you dont know where to get life on a line just PM me your email address and i will email it over to you.
That's acutaly a very good point Ed!
Yes the loads are a lot higher when you rig the ropes like it was but given the options there was nothing else that could have been done. The actual fall factor was significantly less than 1 if you could see the whole rig and I did have a think about it before I went down the rope. FYI there was four separate and independent anchor points.

I was a little surprised when I came to undo all the knots, in that none of them seamed to have had a significant loads on them. They where all quite easy to undo.