View Single Post
(#18)
Old

Default 25-08-2010, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStuff View Post
That makes sense. I assume a Double Fig 8 would work for that?
Yup a double fig 8 would be fine altho very difficult to adjust and takes up a lot of rope. A simple Fig 8 and an Alpine hitch would of been fine. Very strong and very easy to adjust and undo afterwards and with a correctly rigged y hang comes a very low fall factor should a fail occour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Worm Jim View Post
That's acutaly a very good point Ed!
Yes the loads are a lot higher when you rig the ropes like it was but given the options there was nothing else that could have been done. The actual fall factor was significantly less than 1 if you could see the whole rig and I did have a think about it before I went down the rope. FYI there was four separate and independent anchor points.

I was a little surprised when I came to undo all the knots, in that none of them seamed to have had a significant loads on them. They where all quite easy to undo.
Yes there was 4 independat ancor points but the stress you have put on those 2 tope ropes is unbelivable and a failure of any one of the ancor points would have been tremondous on the ropes and the rest of the ancors. Have you ever read Life On a Line?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"