NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Cutacre coal mine slag heap -Feb 09
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Cutacre coal mine slag heap -Feb 09
(#1)
Old
Owd Cocker

Arrow ARCHIVE: Cutacre coal mine slag heap -Feb 09 - 02-02-2009, 17:44

Just north of Tyldesley and our house is this monster mine slag heap, once the largest in Europe. Currently part of a three year UK Coal opencast site called Cutacre the tip will be reworked and washed to get every last cobble of coal out of it.
It dates back to around the late 1880's and was last tipped on in the late 1960's. It's massive close up and really 'comes to life' after snowfalls. Old workings of the mid to late Victorian period have been uncovered in other parts of the site and we're arranging a visit in a few weeks.
With today's snow I thought I'd better document it before it goes, I last photographed it in 1979 as an art student. A chap I met thought I was out photographing wild life, birds etc so I humoured him!

Last edited by Morrisey; 06-02-2009 at 19:37.
Closed Thread