NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Optimus Prime Manchester - Jan 09
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Optimus Prime Manchester - Jan 09
(#1)
Old
Junglist

Arrow ARCHIVE: Optimus Prime Manchester - Jan 09 - 27-01-2009, 03:03

Visited By Sneak & Cooney, With Meldiablo & DeadEndSam.
Wow what a day! Didnt expect this one to happen really, it was a hope and dream, and from information from recent recce's off people, it didnt seem likely..

Well, after the hand of god came down and granted us an absolutly amazingly easy lucky access means, we were upon the falls. Holy shit this was a bit more than I expected, but nothing to serious. Five mins later we were all down and safe. All was good apart from the stares of doubt from my fellow explorers as to the fact of how the fuck we were getting out...Bah, we'll come to that later...Hmmm

So we entered this massive culvert which passes under victoria etc to the outfall into the river Irwell, near to the Cathedral Arches.

Good explore, I had fun going up the various outfall pipes within the huge culvert which we stood in. The two old tunnels going throught the top of the tunnel we saw were a highlight too, really awesome place, The size of it too is amazing. A must see!

lol had a few laughs in here, Big up to Mel and Sam, you crazy bastards, No way was I attempting to walk up the other side of the culvert near the outfall, Looked well deeeeeep and cold as fook! Well done everyone on the human chainage crossing the flow too, haha, loaaadsafun!

Anyway, Photos! (Im sure the other guys got loads too, so await other reports)

This was some badman flowidge here, honestly be really careful here, propa get washed out by that badboy!

Cooney, Mell and Sam. I mooched down this one, went on for time, came back non the wiser lol

Mel lookin like a torch god of some kind..

Far shot of the light at the end of the tunnel. Its the Irwell down there, Really didnt fancy trying to exit there so we didnt bother.

I went up this one, thanks for the boost up Sam mate! This was cool, pill shaped, went up the another tunnel which you can see in the picture. Had rope along the sides to help walk along, smelt of some badman sewerfresh down here so i darn't go on.

Flow from above pipe.

Heading back down the overflow.

Peeeeaaaace! and happiness! Hahaha Brap

M38 REP

Last edited by sneak; 27-01-2009 at 11:54.
(#2)
Old

Default 27-01-2009, 10:33

misterjk, It certainly is.

There doesn't seem much point in posting a duplicate report being as though we had pretty much the same experience, so i'll simply add to it.

The start of this mission was totally bizarre but it was clear that our luck was IN.
Like sneak said....about the "Hand of god"....well I say.."BLESSED ARE THE CONSTRUCTION WORKERS!!"

This place is so so huge, and so dark that our lamps were barely penetrating at all, hence the rather shite photos I took. I'd definitely like to go back with super powerful lamps and really light that place up.

My favourite features were the 2 bridges in there and the random side ducts.

I don't know why but I was surprised to see shrimp in there.
Oh yeh and Sneak forgot to mention the Huge Pike that swam past his leg, hahahaha!
There were a few hairy moments, The falls at the beginning was pretty dodgy, as was me and sam getting in a little to deep on the wrong side of the river.

All good stuff and we had an wicked good time and got to see another place that has captured my imagination for quite some time.

Sneak, Always a pleasure bro.
Cooney, Nice to meet ya geezoir, looking forward to hooking up again.

On with the photies.....

(#3)
Old

Default 27-01-2009, 11:52

good day out good to meet mel and sam
not many pics;

blur...;
Closed Thread