NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Bollington culverts (un-named as of yet) Dec 08
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Bollington culverts (un-named as of yet) Dec 08
(#1)
Old
Romanian1

Arrow ARCHIVE: Bollington culverts (un-named as of yet) Dec 08 - 28-12-2008, 15:27

With the initial intention of scouting out some mine adits in the bollington/rainow area myself and Gibbo headed over to this former industrial (mills and mining) village just outside macclesfield, nor foreseeing much exploring being done as we were only really recceing for future visits i popped a couple of culverts on our "to do" list just in case the mines were non accessible (see bollington mine report/recce) and as it turned out i was very glad i did.

Bollington as with any old industrial town has mills, and where theres mills and watercourses theres generally culverts and Bollington is no exception, it has two watercourses running through it (3 if you count the canal) and both are culverted at some point. (river dean and harrop brook)

This is just a small taster of whats there, theres at least one we didnt do and also somewhere a huge tunnel that drains the kerridge hill mines that runs from the dean in bollington to rainow.

Only a few from me, hopefully Gibbo will add some more and come up with some names later.

Milltown culvertry coming up

Lucky horseshoe found by Gibbo, the waters full of stuff like this, pottery, old bottles and plates, not to mention some fantastic minerals.

A nice set of stone falls, all of this stone and most of the rooves in bollington are made of this, its quarried very, very locally out of kerridge hill, it has very similar properties to slate.

Yoiuve barely gone 50 yards down this section has changed in construction material several times, concrete, brick, stone etc revealing this amazing stone arch built directly onto the bedrock.

And just when you think it cant get any better or bigger, you come to this sizeable portal, which is only brief but nevertheless once again, quite brilliantly constructed

And finally this, behind me here is another short culvert but the flow control and partially blocked millrace on the left are a more interesting picture.

Closed Thread