NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Heritage and non Urbex
Reload this Page Gwrych Castle 11.07.10 (pic heavy)
Heritage and non Urbex Non urbex related reports and places,
but still interesting and photogenic nonetheless!

(#11)
Old
Gobby w***er

Default 13-07-2010, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddood View Post
uola or yola or how ever you spell it, who owns the last none caravan club camp site on the lane up to it is a friend of my mums, as such, i've spent hour upon hour at this place.

to be honest, we've camped in there in the past, about 20 of us, fires going, BBQ's, music the lot and never had a problem with been asked to move so i dont think a night time play would be a problem.

it would be great to see something done with it, those new age travelers have got much to answer for.
"Iola" usually.

I spent many an hour in there as a drunk teenager. Usually we never got bothered, but we had people up smartish telling us to GTFO if we had fires or more than baby torches on the go.

My Flickr
(#12)
Old
red_baron

Default 14-07-2010, 14:46

I have looked at this place many many times from the a55 as i pass. Will have to gothere sometime - looks superb.
(#13)
Old

Default 04-08-2010, 23:25

did this last weekend yerr loving it! Alice tower is so cool after dark! also the place is home to a tin mine up above!!
(#14)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 20-03-2011, 09:51

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but we got caught off security last year or early this year in there and he was saying that its getting renovated this year into a hotel. So if you want pics of it as a ruin then you should go now.

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#15)
Old
Gobby w***er

Default 20-03-2011, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but we got caught off security last year or early this year in there and he was saying that its getting renovated this year into a hotel. So if you want pics of it as a ruin then you should go now.
They've been saying that for 15 years!

I used to live right next to it, and spent many an inebriated night in there.

My Flickr
(#16)
Old
Just say NO

Default 20-03-2011, 20:18

Most of the place is fenced off with new galvanised Palisaide fencing. You can get past one or two but the place is quite tighly sealed now.

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010
(#17)
Old
Gobby w***er

Default 20-03-2011, 20:33

Bloody hell, they're actually going to do *something* with it now? *falls over*

My Flickr
(#18)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 20-03-2011, 20:57

i hear planning permision to do something with it was passed in 09, the company who owned it then went bump last year, another company has took it over but wanted to make changes to the planning and it is said work will start on it this summer, subject to the changes in planning been accepted..

that was the last i herd though

Visit my blog NOW - www.dspexplores.com
(#19)
Old

Default 28-03-2011, 10:56

G'day. You'll have to excuse me as I'm not an Urbexer as such but I get Google alerts for anything to do with Gwrych and this page cropped up the other day.

As the new owners of Gwrych (since April last year), I just wanted to set the record straight after reading some of the previous posts.

We have taken steps to secure the building with additional fencing and metal shuttering as there are areas of the building which are unsafe and therefore access is pretty much impossible without damaging either fencing or removing the shuttering, which I obviously wouldn't condone.

The current situation is that there is no planning consent regarding the Castle and never has been, we've been in discussions with the Council over the past months and are well progressed with our designs and hope to submit an application later this year. Work on the site won't however commence until we have our consents in place. This in itself could take over a year. Our plans are to convert Gwrych into a high quality destination Country House hotel of approx 70-80 bedrooms with spa and banqueting facilities, expanding on the previous owner's intentions.

I can of course appreciate the attraction of visiting abandoned properties and even admire the work the work you do as Urbexers, half of the battle of bringing derelict properties back into use is raising awareness of the current condition and the risks that the buildings face. In respect of Gwrych I can appreciate the attraction even more as it is without question a stunning building and surroundings. However as a landowner I cannot reiterate more the dangers of entering a building in these conditions without permission and without having any risks identified prior to entry.

On that basis, if any of your members wanted to organise a visit to the Castle I'd be pleased to accompany you. Obviously I can't extend this to individual visits but if you can co-ordinate a number of members to visit on the same day I can show you round.
(#20)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 28-03-2011, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMUK View Post
On that basis, if any of your members wanted to organise a visit to the Castle I'd be pleased to accompany you. Obviously I can't extend this to individual visits but if you can co-ordinate a number of members to visit on the same day I can show you round.
Thats a very kind offer that i'm sure several people off here would be interested in.

Visit my blog NOW - www.dspexplores.com