NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Mines of Rivington - REPORT 5th July 08 - ARCHIVE
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

Mines of Rivington - REPORT 5th July 08 - ARCHIVE
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Default Mines of Rivington - REPORT 5th July 08 - ARCHIVE - 05-07-2008, 17:49

There is a rich history of mining dating back to the early 1700's under these hills, the areas visited today with Gibbo and Andym date back to approx the early 1800's.

Coal and fireclay were extracted from the drifts to satisfy the needs of the surrounding areas, the fireclay was extracted to produce bricks and sanitary ware. The upper workings were worked up until the late 50's until it was deemed to be unprofitable, the coal not being of a particular high grade. It is thought that the mines actually go right under winter hill!!

A big thanks to our guides for the day, without whom I can guarantee we would still be down there now! Andym feel free to add your pics.

(#2)
Old
Administrator

Default 06-07-2008, 14:23

Wow same ace shots there Morrisey!!

This was a very interesting explore, not least because of the clandestine nature of the access! Thankfully, the area was very quiet, so 8 men walking around in overalls and mining helmets didn't arouse any suspicion!

As those who know me will testify, I'm not really an underground explorer, save for a few factory basements, but as this explore was offered to me, I thought it'd be rude to refuse, especially as I'd read about the mines a while back. I can also see Winter Hill from my house and thought it'd be fun to see underneath it.

This was probably the most physically knackering explore I've done, as movement was by crawling or walking along stooped over. Three hours of that was hard work, I can only imagine what it must have been like actually working down there for 12 hours a day.

Thanks to Alan, Morrisey and the guys who go down regularly and are so knowledgeable about this place, and for giving me and Gibbo the opportunity to have a look

RA - Roland Adamson, who started working at the pit during the first world war and ended up as the colliery manager who shut the place in 1959.

Closed Thread