NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > General > NWEX Special Interest Groups > Bricks, Brickology and Brickophillia
Reload this Page The Scottish National Brick Collection
Bricks, Brickology and Brickophillia A mini site dedicated to the humble brick, by those dedicated enough to collect them!

The Scottish National Brick Collection
(#1)
Old
Professional curmudgeon

Default The Scottish National Brick Collection - 11-07-2009, 14:59

Having discovered the "Scottish National Brick Collection" at the derelict Dunaskin Heritage Centre, it would have been a waste of time photographing all those nice bricks and not then posting a few here. I thought I would start with some examples from Scottish Collieries.

Enjoy!

Sanquhar and Kirkconnel Coal Company brickworks in Dumfriesshire, closed by the NCB in 1958

Annbank Brickworks in Ayrshire were supplied with coal and clay from the nearby Enterkine Collieries. The NCB continued to operate the brickworks until 1969.

Auchlochan Collieries at Coalburn in Lanarkshire, operated by William Dixon Ltd.

Balgonie Colliery was at Thornton in Fife and owned by the Balgonie Colliery Company.

The brickworks at Roslin Colliery was established by the Shotts Iron Company in 1937. It continued in NCB ownership until 1969 and then under the Scottish Brick Corporation until 1977.

The brick, tile and fireclay works at Prestongrange Colliery in East Lothian opened in the 1890s and wa operated by the Summerlee Iron Company, NCB to 1969, and the Scottish Brick Corporation until 1975.

The final two were both made at the Dalmellington Iron Company brickworks which was covered in the "When Heritage Goes Bad" thread. http://www.nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4707

Dunsakin Brickworks, near Dalmelington, Ayrshire. Closed 1976 by the Scottish Brick Corporation.
(#2)
Old
Junglist

Default 12-07-2009, 02:00

Good stuff man!

M38 REP
(#3)
Old
Owd Cocker

Default 01-08-2009, 00:50

Smashing bricks, all new to me, I want 'em

Coal Not Dole
(#4)
Old

Default 01-08-2009, 02:02

As said a few weeks ago - "I have been dragged to the dark side." I want them all!
(#5)
Old
Administrator

Default 02-08-2009, 01:26

WOW! Scottish bricks FTW.
(#6)
Old
Professional curmudgeon

Default 02-08-2009, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalboard View Post
Smashing bricks, all new to me, I want 'em
They are just sitting there waiting for someone to give them a safe home. Get yerself a vehicle capable of carrying 80 or 90 bricks and off you go!
(#7)
Old

Default 12-05-2010, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboil View Post
WOW! Scottish bricks FTW.
A few years ago I discovered the original location of the Morayshire Brick and Tile works was on my (literal) doorstep ( http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=57.67....7&r=0&src=msa ). Your brick display cabinet thingie has inspired me to start digging around and see if I can find any of it's products locally

It's a bloomin' odd hobby but my interest is strangley picquied... must be something to do with my great-forefathers being stonemasons and plasterers

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will piss on your computer!
(#8)
Old
bricks not braps

Default 12-05-2010, 23:36

im still to find a ncb brick