NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page A couple of Culverts Blackbrook St Helens - February 2011
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

A couple of Culverts Blackbrook St Helens - February 2011
(#1)
Old

Arrow A couple of Culverts Blackbrook St Helens - February 2011 - 13-02-2011, 18:26

First off exploring culverts after heavy rain is something I must remember not to do too often. Particularly with waders that leak on one leg. Visted two culverts one is a culvert for Blackbrook and the other is the mill race tail for Stanley Bank Mill in St Helens.

The first culvert is about 100yrds long and today the water reached about 3 feet in depth. It is a seemingly pointless culvert but formed part of the Laffak Colliery complex as a reinforcement for the banking overwhich a tramway or railway ran.

The Inflow

Part way through. The culvert is mostly stone lined. Sadly my picture is slightly blurred. Even on a tripod with me holding it the water was wanting to push it on its way.

Next up was the Stanley Bank Mill tailrace. This was a bit of a fail as well partly due to the depth of the water. About 20yrds in the water was approaching 4 feet deep and I didn't fancy drowning this morning. Nice brick arched culvert which should terminate at a fenced off section and then lead to the mill.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/58385119@N07/5441269147/]

I may try again when the weather is a but warmer and dryer and my waders are more like waders rather than a seive.
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 13-02-2011, 18:47

excellent stuff ill have a look at this one

is it long enough for a little boat trip

Last edited by georgie; 13-02-2011 at 18:54.
(#3)
Old

Default 13-02-2011, 18:57

Probably only 100m or so in length. I'm sure with a couple of other culverts it would be worth a trip in a boat
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 13-02-2011, 19:02

good stuff