NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Leisure & Other
Reload this Page Bennetston Hall, Derbyshire - Oct 2012
Leisure & Other Religious buildings, Swimming pools, Hotels, Railway related stuff.
Or any other places that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

Bennetston Hall, Derbyshire - Oct 2012
(#1)
Old

Default Bennetston Hall, Derbyshire - Oct 2012 - 20-10-2012, 22:34

Just a quick warning if you plan to visit this on, the floorboards are rotten in places and I'd recommend walking with a bit of care

Quote:
Built in the late Nineteenth Century by local doctor and property speculator Robert Ottiwell Gifford Bennett MD (1834 – 1902) the Hall was originally the home of the writer Mrs Coddington – Bennett himself is not known to have ever lived here.

Robert Bennett MD was a prominent local doctor who also gave his name to Buxton’s Bennett Street. Bennett was an ancestor of the Rev. J. Bennett, founder of the Methodist Society and associate of the Rev. John Wesley, founder of Wesleyan Methodism.

In the 1930′s this substantial property was acquired by the YHA and became a Youth Hostel. Since the Second World War Bennetston Hall has been at various times over the years a private dwelling, a nightclub and a hotel.

For decades however, the Hall was at the centre of a long running legal row, ending up with the premises at one stage being owned by the Legal Aid Board. Meanwhile the once magnificent Hall fell into a sorry state of neglect and disrepair. Finally in March 2012, the Hall was put up for sale by auction on the instruction of the receivers.
I felt exposed walking up the 200 yard drive due to the main road being in clear view across the boating lake

Once inside the floor was like walking on a sponge and on the ground floor I got the impression that I could fall through with each step, moving up the staircase the floor was much firmer under-foot

The building is imposing from the moment you walk up and this continues throughout the hall

Very little remains inside besides a few panels on the walls and the light fittings

In the Kitchen the floor has been completely removed

And the ballroom was not very impressive

And then it was onwards and upwards

The police tape surrounds a large hole where it looks like someone has fallen through

Yeah I like portrait deal with it

And I took some video and patched it together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEfjiQ8CJiI

Thanks for looking
(#2)
Old

Default 25-10-2012, 23:55

Lovely light on your pics, lovely house
(#3)
Old
Just say NO

Default 28-10-2012, 13:03