NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Asylums & Hospitals
Reload this Page high Royds Mental Asylum, Leeds (Admin Block) - September 2011
Asylums & Hospitals Pretty self explanatory this one.

high Royds Mental Asylum, Leeds (Admin Block) - September 2011
(#1)
Old

Default high Royds Mental Asylum, Leeds (Admin Block) - September 2011 - 21-09-2011, 19:44

Visited with Gone and Morse

Morse was back in town, so we headed out to Leeds to check out a few things.High Royds was first on our list. We wandered around the grounds of the derelict asylum, to find a large part of it, including what was once a beautiful long corridor, has now been demolished, and more is soon to be. We carried on and after a couple of bum-steers and checking out the admin building for bloody ages we found our point of access, and made our way in one at a time - to find ourselves greeted by intricately detailed corridors with mosaic floors and a large, colourful ballroom.

History:
Opened on 8th October 1888, under the name West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, and was closed in 2003. The Grade II listed Administration building is now considered a show-piece - with its detailed Italian mosaic floor which features the Yorkshire rose and black daisies, a clock tower, and a ballroom.

The asylum used to contain wards for patient accommodation, a library, surgery, dispensary, butchers, dairies, bakery, a sweetshop, an upholsterers and a railway (the High Royds Hospital Railway - connected to the Wharfedale railway line).

We almost walked away from this place without getting in, but being a bit cheeky / ballsy certainly paid off in this case. Unfortunately access to the clock tower seems to be sealed.

An amazing piece of architecture
(#2)
Old

Default 21-09-2011, 20:04

nice pics mate, wish i got to spend more time here when i went but i upset the contractors who left the door open so it got cut short! lol
(#3)
Old

Default 21-09-2011, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
nice pics mate, wish i got to spend more time here when i went but i upset the contractors who left the door open so it got cut short! lol
We had similar, there was a lot of security presence around admin and it was getting dark (too dark to take pics without torches etc). So we just decided to bail
(#4)
Old

Default 23-09-2011, 01:36

That place looks fantastic - they don't build buildings like that anymore! Excellent photos.
(#5)
Old

Default 23-09-2011, 15:49

Lovely building, that floor is tremendous.
(#6)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Default 24-09-2011, 02:21

beautiful photographs. well composed, framed and processed.

photos here too
(#7)
Old
cdwils86

Default 26-09-2011, 15:49

what a great looking place great pics and looks like I will have to take a visit there very soon I think
(#8)
Old
Donuts-я-Us

Default 26-09-2011, 20:56

that is an awesome building, it will be a shame if it gets knocked down
(#9)
Old

Default 28-09-2011, 23:08

These pics are fab, i'd love to go and look at places like these, and listen to all the stories about it as well.
Keep up the good work
(#10)
Old
Flaccid Member

Default 05-10-2011, 11:01

I went yesterday based on the marvels of your report, I poured over the rather out of date googlemap for an age, but when i got there the place was crawling with workers I had no chance , the place is dissapearing at an alarming rate, the clocktower looked like it had been refurbished/regenerated , looked really different to the admin building.

Was gutted not to find any way.