NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page Marley Roofing Products -Delamere - June 2010 -
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Marley Roofing Products -Delamere - June 2010 -
(#1)
Old
Super Moderator

Arrow Marley Roofing Products -Delamere - June 2010 - - 16-06-2010, 22:22

Marley roofing is the UK's leading name in pitched roofing systems
and has a proven track record of product success and reliability

from complete roofing systems and award winning dry fix components to individual tiles and accessories ,the Marley products range is designed to satisfy even the most demanding requirements for the design and construction of pitched roofs

ive got to say this place is huge and surprisingly very clean and canteens you could literally eat your dinner off the floor

also an onsite quarry at the rear where they used the quarried sand for making the tiles

well worth a look if your in the area

explored with kevsy21 and the cat crept in

we'll kick off with the office block

then onto the workshops

after seeing this we went looking for those tunnels

only to find the stairway to hell was filled in

the lovely clean canteens

from left to right the cat ,kevsy21 ,and yours truelly
(#2)
Old
Pete Littler

Default 16-07-2010, 11:03

Guys,
I used to work there between 1981 - 1990
Sad to see the old place now a crumbling wreck, but on reflection it was on its last legs before I left.
The tunnels you went looking for were approx 150ft long with a Tile conveyor running through them. Operators used to work either side of the conveyor, either loading wet tiles or unloading dry tiles from the steam cabinets.
The floor in the picture is where the Steam Coils were, covered in steel sheet and they were permanently on!
Tiles were produced at approx 60 per minute, so you can imagine what the working conditions were like down them. Talk about sweat shop!!

I was a Maintenance Fitter there, and regularly had to replace the coils & repair Steam Leaks.

Any more info you would like, let me know.

PS, Were there any Security Guards around the place?

Pete
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 16-07-2010, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Littler View Post
Guys,
I used to work there between 1981 - 1990
Sad to see the old place now a crumbling wreck, but on reflection it was on its last legs before I left.
The tunnels you went looking for were approx 150ft long with a Tile conveyor running through them. Operators used to work either side of the conveyor, either loading wet tiles or unloading dry tiles from the steam cabinets.
The floor in the picture is where the Steam Coils were, covered in steel sheet and they were permanently on!
Tiles were produced at approx 60 per minute, so you can imagine what the working conditions were like down them. Talk about sweat shop!!

I was a Maintenance Fitter there, and regularly had to replace the coils & repair Steam Leaks.

Any more info you would like, let me know.

PS, Were there any Security Guards around the place?

Pete
top stuff m8 moblie security i believe although the place is well trashed now

i cant think of any info off the top of my head other than was that a quarry at the back and was it filled in also did that ladder in the pic lead down to the tunnels
(#4)
Old
Pete Littler

Default 16-07-2010, 13:42

The quarry at the back of the plant was continually dredged for the sand to a depth of approx 70ft.
The sand was then pumped into massive stacks which were then sold on as building sand to Tilcon & whoever wanted it.
We had to improt sand from United Gravel in North Wales as it had more grit in to bind the tiles together.
Looking at the ladder, from it's location outside, I would say that it gave access to the Sand Plant that was part of the above description.

The quarry is so large it would never get filled in, the only thing that would fill that up would be to convrt it into a landfill site, but the ecologists would go mental if that were ever to happen!
The Tunnels were in the main factory, & nothing special to look at, they were just enclosed steam drying racks for the tiles to sit on. It was merely given the name tunnel as a nickname, not really a true description.

Pete
(#5)
Old
angielily18

Default 25-08-2010, 19:37

It seems that they need to renovate the building. But, as we can see in the pictures, the roofs are still fine.
(#6)
Old
is a 'member'

Default 25-08-2010, 19:51

Had a mooch round here last year, the office block was unaccessable, but a decent enough explore. Also, the quarry at the back is home to rather large Carp

"Try again.......Fail again.......Fail Better!".............Samual Beckett.....