NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > General > NWEX Special Interest Groups > Bricks, Brickology and Brickophillia
Reload this Page Collecting Bricks? Nahh
Bricks, Brickology and Brickophillia A mini site dedicated to the humble brick, by those dedicated enough to collect them!

Collecting Bricks? Nahh
(#1)
Old
Hello Daaave

Default Collecting Bricks? Nahh - 23-08-2010, 00:08

What's all this brick collecting lark? Here's where my niche lies. The earliest one pictured is an earthenware Ginger Beer from 1891. Everything is from St Helens or close by.

I've got tons more stuff which either needs a damn good clean or just isn't 'shelf' material.

A Robert Ryder Beer bottle with headstock pictorial.
(#2)
Old
bricks not braps

Default 23-08-2010, 00:12

Nice,that headstock bottle is ace.so have you dug these up?
(#3)
Old
Hello Daaave

Default 23-08-2010, 00:18

Yeah mate most of them have been dug or found at car boots etc.

The headstock pictorial was chosen because Robert Ryder used to work down one of the pits in St Helens before going into the beer industry. They also do a ginger beer bottle where the print is blue, fetches the best part of £400 for a decent nick one!
(#4)
Old
Professional curmudgeon

Default 23-08-2010, 06:26

Yes, the headstock bottle is tops. Want one! That's a very fine colllection you have there, and nicely displayed too.
(#5)
Old
the bird is the word

Default 23-08-2010, 07:38

Brilliant collection there!! I don't clean mine up completely, quite like the little moss terrariums that they turn into underground. I do have a couple of sealed ones with a dubious liquid inside, but I think I will leave them shut. Nice to see some cleaned up and on display!!

I am a serious fan, I have the kaleidoscope
(#6)
Old

Default 23-08-2010, 12:41

Nice collection mate. I'd love to collect some old glassware but Mrs Walrus has a "scorched earth" policy when it comes to shelving... something to do with cleaning and clutter
Quite reminds me of when I worked on a farm in the late '70s - the base of the hedgerows on the track leading to the farm were absolutely jam packed with old intact empty bottles of all sorts - perfume, medicine, drinks, etc

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will piss on your computer!
(#7)
Old
Hello Daaave

Default 23-08-2010, 13:38

I've got a couple of Ryders bottles spare if you want one Tarboat.

Thanks for the comments all, I don't like cleaning them till they're near new but as these are dug, I think the scratches and dings keep their 'old' feel.

That's just a tease Walrus, is the farm still there?
(#8)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 23-08-2010, 16:40

I come across a lot of these bottles and the old medicine bottles in the cellars of the chemist that i go to, all of them still have the stuff inside. Sometimes there are quite literally hundreds of bottles dating back a very long time. I've even seen pharmaceutical cocaine, opium and heroin in small bottles and chloroform in quite large bottles (wouldn't want to drop any of that). Its interesting routing round through all the old boxes even the news papers that they are stored round them make very interesting reading.

When ever the company comes across them though they destroy them straight away. Ive tryd to blag them so many times if i could keep them even empty away the contents but they never let me take any. And id guess some of them must be worth a lot of money, all in pristine condition with labels.

We've found bottles and other things that may be of interest around here 53.587296,-2.555598. It was a few years ago when we saw them but i assume they will still be here, It used to be an old tip.

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#9)
Old

Default 23-08-2010, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoka View Post
...That's just a tease Walrus, is the farm still there?
Looks like it mate, though the shippons have been demolished by the looks of it (where the cross is) --> http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.81....9&r=0&src=msl

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will piss on your computer!
(#10)
Old
Hello Daaave

Default 23-08-2010, 18:43

Cheers for that Buddah I'll check it out. Most old tips are developed on these days but you still get the odd later ones popping up (1920+). The best age to find is 1880 - 1893.

Medicine bottles are a giant kettle of fish. Whether they're worth anything depends on the size, shape and design of the bottle. It's a shame that they're destroyed as you never know what they may be worth unless you know what to look for.