NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Leisure & Other
Reload this Page Kinmel Hall, North Wales – November 2010
Leisure & Other Religious buildings, Swimming pools, Hotels, Railway related stuff.
Or any other places that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

Kinmel Hall, North Wales – November 2010
(#1)
Old

Default Kinmel Hall, North Wales – November 2010 - 30-11-2010, 20:16

Driving through the fog was an experience in itself, We couldn’t move we had that many items of clothing on / strapped inside our rucksacks. Jimmy was getting first rate education from myself and Appo about tent pegs, sheep and cattlegrids – All banter before we saw the mansion, From then on it was near enough silence.

After checking the place out outside we were stumped for a way inside, A further scout around proved to be one of the easiest entrances I have ever tried. After a quick scour of the building in amazement we set up the sleeping bags in a room left by the ‘three bears’ – 3 beds, Wardrobe, Electricity ,Water and Curtains.

I woke at 9am to Jimmy shouting in my face that someone was downstairs, Appo was awake and laughing. We kept quiet and slept for a short time before packing and hiding the gear away and exploring the beautiful building. The main rooms were a brilliant size and the rooftop had a view way out to Rhyl and the wind farms out at sea...

History ;

The present chateau style house, the third on the site, was designed by W. E. Nesfield in the 1870s, and the adjoining Venetian Gardens were designed by his father, W. A. Nesfield. The adjoining Neo-palladian style stable block is attributed to William Burn, with construction completed in the 1850s

The house is set in walled gardens of around 18 acres (73,000 m2), which are themselves set in grounds of around 5,000 acres (20 km2), encompassing open fields, parkland and forests. Kinmel mansion, constructed in Wales in the 1870s is an excellent example of the myriad of new types of spaces that were arising during the Victorian era to fulfill increasingly specialized functions. For example, there was a room in the mansion that was only to be used for the ironing of newspapers, so that the ink would not come off on the reader's hands.

Ownership of the house has been dominated by the Hughes, Lewis and Fetherstonhaugh and Gill families. There are many heraldic shields displayed throughout the house which show evidence of the unions between these families. The property was last used as a private home in 1929, after which it was converted to a 'rheuma spa', a health centre for the treatment of people with rheumatism. The spa remained until the outbreak of World War II, when the hall was taken over as a hospital.

Since then it has been used as a conference centre, and an educational venue. The hall is now the property of Derbyshire Investments and currently under renovation.

We left after we heard a voice inside the building. Footsteps and deep Hello’s were enough to get us to bail out. Respect to Appo & Jimmy, Gone...
(#2)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 30-11-2010, 20:41

Brilliant! and Kipping in it as well top stuff

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#3)
Old
Administrator

Default 30-11-2010, 21:39

Excellent. Did the butler bring in the brekkies?

Egregious!
(#4)
Old

Default 30-11-2010, 22:06

Luxury explore! Top job
(#5)
Old
Administrator

Default 01-12-2010, 01:08

Ha ha top stuff lads or should I say "lords of the manor"
(#6)
Old
Administrator

Default 01-12-2010, 09:29

Yay, top stuff chaps, kipping over in your explores is well worth it and Im glad its not just me who does it. This is so on the list, an amazing place.
(#7)
Old

Default 01-12-2010, 10:44

I really should get myself over there.
(#8)
Old
the bird is the word

Default 01-12-2010, 12:11

Incredible!! Pics are great. Sleeping over, I'm so jealous! I want some mansion goodness soon. Been so long since I've been anywhere really getting withdrawls.

I am a serious fan, I have the kaleidoscope
(#9)
Old

Default 01-12-2010, 14:21

I loved this place - looks a bit cold there mind - when I went it was sunny and nice :-)
(#10)
Old

Default 02-12-2010, 03:20