NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Leisure & Other
Reload this Page St Mary's site, Bangor - April 2011
Leisure & Other Religious buildings, Swimming pools, Hotels, Railway related stuff.
Or any other places that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

St Mary's site, Bangor - April 2011
(#1)
Old

Default St Mary's site, Bangor - April 2011 - 27-04-2011, 17:32

St. Mary's College was a women's student-teacher college which merged with Bangor University in 1977. The main building was built in 1906, with student accommodation added at a later date, It closed in 2008 and has been largely abandoned since, with a large fence added around the parameter recently.

The security on this site seems to be quite good at sealing up the access routes, a couple of days after my explore, there was a new 12ft fence up behind am existing 12ft fence, and steel boarding on the windows.

Also made a video of the explore, which can be found here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14x66oG6bso

(#2)
Old
Administrator

Default 27-04-2011, 17:54

very nice, looks like some of it's in good shape and some of it's a bit grungy. Were all those books about anything interesting?
(#3)
Old

Default 27-04-2011, 18:34

Mainly biology books to be honest. Can't work out why they are there, security know people are going in, but they still keep them there. To be fair though, the new steel shuttering on the windows was mainly focused at where the books are stored.
(#4)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 27-04-2011, 20:26

Nice pics man, that is a lot of books

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#5)
Old

Default 27-04-2011, 21:30

Great to see you nailed this one and great pics to did you get up the tower or did you trigger the alarm in the chapel
(#6)
Old

Default 27-04-2011, 21:43

Cheers mate . Yeah, the tower was the first place that I went to. The fire alarm fault sounder was going by the chapel, but that's as far as I got when it came to noticing alarms. Where was the alarm in the chapel?

There's also a camera by the stairs, but I'm not sure if that was active.

(#7)
Old
Just say NO

Default 28-04-2011, 09:07

Nice report, thank you.

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010
(#8)
Old

Default 28-04-2011, 10:41

Fantastic - brought the memories flooding back! I was there 1994-5. Just a bit of background on your photos :-
1) Quadrangle accommodation was almost entirely occupied by overseas families and post graduate students - all self catering
2) Entrance to Senior Common Room - post grads and resident tutors - just a nice sitting room
3) Chapel - always used as a furniture store when I was a student there.
4) Resident tutors lived on this corridor
5) ? Never saw this one!
6) Nursery - Private nursery used by families staying at st. Marys and the local community
7) ?
8) Stairs to quadrangle accommodation
9) Bar - bottom area had darts board and two pool tables. There was a juke box in the RH corner and a couple of slot machines on the middle pillars. Those swinging doors on the left were always locked and I was always intrigued what was behind them. Used to be able to get a £1 a pint lager here!
10) Was this a bedroom - did you get in any bedrooms?
11) Stairs to canteen - every dinner time, there'd be a queue 50 deep of students here queing for food. The hall porter would stand at the top of the stairs checking everyone's hall pass.
12) Kitchen - never ever made it for breakfast here and the evening meals were very mediocre
13) Dining room - full of long tables and also used to host functions like a medieval night - watch for some photos!

Did you get into A or B blocks? or the old accommodation with the individual sinks. There were no showers here - only baths, it was a right dive but a great social place, plus the hill (Lon Pobty) kept you in good shape!

Great to see them!
(#9)
Old
Blackinese

Default 28-04-2011, 13:06

Nice report. Glad to see you got in before security upped their game!

Smoke dope. Worship Satan.
My Manchester
(#10)
Old
Blackinese

Default 22-06-2011, 18:06

Whoa holy moly did security up their game on this one.

Visited it today. Expect to climb lots of palisade to even get to the buildings. Then use some lateral thinking to get in. Every window and door on the ground floor is sealed up tight with steel sheets.

Took an hour for us to figure it out! Will upload my pics as soon as I figure out how to get them off my camera!

Smoke dope. Worship Satan.
My Manchester