NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Lochaline Silica Mine - May 2011
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Lochaline Silica Mine - May 2011
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Default Lochaline Silica Mine - May 2011 - 24-05-2011, 22:30

I first saw some photos from here last year which fired my imagination and I just had to visit the place. We were doing a tour of the western highlands on the motorbikes and so we decided to add this place to the agenda on the tour.
The idea was run by the non-riding pit moochers and they decided that they would go in the car and meet up with us on the Saturday.

We met at the mine as planned and even though the weather was pretty shite the mine didn’t disappoint, it was as magical as I had imagined.

With the mooch over we spent the evening in the local social club before going back to a VERY un waterproof tent and being eaten alive by Scotland’s finest midges!

Big thanks to boboil, copycat,manx, scrawper and the ginger slimer for helping to make a most memorable weekend of mooching and lols.

Quote:
Since 1940 the Lochaline Silica Sand Mine has been worked continuously, first by Tennant,Sons & Co. Ltd, hen by Tilcon and now Tarmac. However, the deposit was first unearthed as far back as late the 1800s, but
because of the remoteness of the location mining was considered uneconomical at that time. Another study in 1925 confirmed the deposit as one of the purest silica sandstones in the world, largely free from impurities and perfect for making high-quality glass, but once again the economics did not stack up and the
material was left untouched. In the end it was the Second World War which acted as the catalyst.When the German invasion of Belgium halted the import into Britain of silica used in the manufacture of submarine periscope lenses and gunsights, a new source of silica was urgently required. Suddenly the Lochaline deposit became an attractive proposition and a much-needed part of the war effort.The first shipment took
place in 1940 with the sand destined for use in high-quality optical glass for the munitions industry, as well as for use in the ceramics and chemical industries. After the war production continued to grow, providing vital employment in this remote and rural area, and by the 1950s some 65 people were employed at the mine. For the majority of the mine’s life the ex-works price of the product was probably the lowest of any underground mine in western Europe, a factor which often inhibited exploration and development. Nevertheless, various modernization programmes have taken place over the years including the construction of
For more detailed history on Lochaline check out the link below;

http://www.agg-net.com/files/qmj-cor...Resource_0.pdf

A few photos from the mine..

Egregious!
(#2)
Old
I hear voices in the dark

Default 24-05-2011, 22:55

Still itching, still smiling - a superb weekend and a superb mine. The fans were fantastic and so were the dumps . Scenery to match, with my face aching still from laughing. Bloody brilliant mooch!

(28 pounds for left overs though at a bunk house - I feel raped by the Scotish lol . )

Its deep but now very light down there... ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
(#3)
Old
Donuts-я-Us

Default 24-05-2011, 23:01

absolutely brilliant! is this still a live mine?
(#4)
Old
Still not ready for Titan

Default 25-05-2011, 02:54

Sexier than a sexy thing on sex legs that! I'd like to have had a good reason for not coming, but John forgot and did the CRTT again while I moped at home with a work injury Top job there fellas, top job!

All this country is hollow. Could you strike it with some gigantic hammer it would boom like a drum - Arthur Conan Doyle
(#5)
Old
Just say NO

Default 25-05-2011, 08:12

That's absolutely stunning!

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010
(#6)
Old
Administrator

Default 25-05-2011, 09:41

Wow ! what a long weekend that was, big thanks to all involved to make it such a memorable time.
Biking, pit mooching, camping & spending quality time with solid mates, what more could you ask for !!

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

(#7)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 25-05-2011, 10:01

Brilliant stuff

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#8)
Old

Default 25-05-2011, 10:20

Cracking stuff guys Looks like an awesome place

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"
(#9)
Old

Default 25-05-2011, 12:10

one of the coolest looking mine trips i have seen on here in the short time i have been a member
(#10)
Old

Default 25-05-2011, 12:34

The old vehicles make for some great pictures

The newer ones are great too, VFR and Fazer are very good for chewing up some miles while still having lots of fun