NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > High Places
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Liverpool Anglican Cathedral - Nov 2009
High Places Cranes, Rooftops, Chimneys, Towers, Masts, Silos etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Liverpool Anglican Cathedral - Nov 2009
(#1)
Old

Arrow ARCHIVE: Liverpool Anglican Cathedral - Nov 2009 - 20-11-2009, 13:30

Visited last night with Pace and Carlin (Briefley)

This is one of the last opportunities to get to the top for a night shoot. 4.25 gets you up via a number of escalators and stairs which run above the main hall and through the tower. The stairway runs up the inside of the main tower to the top. When we got out of the lift the wind noise was deafening as it rushes through the bell tower. Apparently they get fog in there when the cloud is low. Out on top we were greeted by a chirpy scouse tour guide who kindly showed us round. It was too windy to shoot from the southern side of the tower so here are my shots looking north side.

Pace's shots to follow shortly. (and maybe Carlin's)

Looking north towards the Liver Buildings and the new wheel.

The Catholic Cathedral

Looking down in the bell tower.

And a HDR of the interior. For those people who like HDR?

I took around 30 shots last night but due to the high winds at the top most of them, because of the exposures required, never turned out. There is one last opportunity next Thursday evening if anyone wants to go up. Last tickets are at 7:30 closing at 8:00.

Last edited by Gibbo; 20-11-2009 at 13:51. Reason: Corrected cathedral denomination.
(#2)
Old
Ghost On The Loose

Default 21-11-2009, 15:07

Few of mine, i went up twice, 3 weeks on the run as my batteries went the first time!

Designed by Roman Catholic architect Giles Gilbert Scott (Battersea power station, K2 phone boxes...) when he was only 22. Later after his death he was buried in front of the cathedral under what is now the main road into it, sadly there is no stone on his grave today, the old one was broke.
Started in 1903 work wasn't complete until 1978, 18 years after Scotts death

Looking along Pilgrim Street at the west window

At 67 metres (220 ft) the bells have the highest and heaviest peal in the world, there are 13 bells, named the Bartlett Bells after Thomas Bartlett a native of Liverpool who bequeathed the funding for them.

This bell tower is 111 feet high, the wind coming through them windows almost takes you off your feet, a real bastard to get a tripod stead balancing over the edge of the stairs. Lift takes you 10 floors up then 180 steps to the top

At 100.8 metres (331 feet), this is the highest view of Liverpool, St. John's Beacon is maybe a taller building but the Cathedral is on a high piece of land. With my 200mm i was able to zoom in a few local landmarks

"Paddys wigwam" The Metropolitan cathedral across town, The Victoria Clock Tower to the right and some new University technology building on the left which changes colour in the order of the rainbow, its just gong from red to Yellow in the shot

St Georges Hall, one of the finest examples of Neo-Greco-Roman architecture in the city. Shocking as it sound some local politician put forward the idea to demolish this about 30 years, it had been disused for years and fell into disrepair, crime just to think it in my opinion

The new museum at the Pier Head

Liver Buildings amoung other thigns

Since i took that last shot on my first trip this wheel has turned up

Duke Street

The view to the east looking across toward Manchester. This is the Georgian quater, sadly a spot of rain got me, this was the only shot that wasnt a mess looking this way

Liverpool

Some of my internals. The Anglican is a great place to practice learning how you use your camera, when i first got a DSLR it was one of my first port of calls, long exposures, HDR, depth of field, its got it all!! I've got plenty of internal shots on flickr taken over the last few years
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=1054...thedral&m=text
(#3)
Old
Administrator

Default 21-11-2009, 22:05

Went up here last month it really is worth the 4 quid entrance fee, it was a nice clear blue sky when I was up there

Did you find the lucky mouse ? you give it a rub for good fortune

(#4)
Old

Default 30-11-2009, 17:28

Few Iv got when I went;

Closed Thread