NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Victoria Arches / Cathedral Steps - July 10
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Victoria Arches / Cathedral Steps - July 10
(#1)
Old

Default Victoria Arches / Cathedral Steps - July 10 - 17-07-2010, 02:25

Visted with Buddah and a friend.

Ive ben wanting to go here for a good 18 months, and its this place that really got me interested in urbex.

We plucked up the courage to back to this one for a second attempt. Equipped and raring to go, we set off to Manchester. After a few deep breaths and some 'you go first' ... 'no, you go first', we got in.

Very briefly, and lifted straight from Wiki..
'The Victoria Arches were a series of arches built in the embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for Steam packet riverboats, and also as World War II air-raid shelters. They were accessed from wooden staircases which descended from Victoria Street.
Regular flooding of the river resulted in the closure of the steam-packet services in the early 20th century, and the arches were used for general storage. In World War II the arches were converted for use as air raid shelters. The arches are now bricked up and inaccessible; the staircases were removed in the latter part of the 20th century.'

Definitely glad we used respirators.

Well worth the trip!!
(#2)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 17-07-2010, 08:51

Top stuff, and i'm gutted i couldn't make it!

how did you find getting back out? more fun than getting in?

Visit my blog NOW - www.dspexplores.com
(#3)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 17-07-2010, 12:29

just a couple i couldn't really get to many good shots, i had to use the flash quite a bit.

Its just the getting in and out of this place that is absolutely brilliant. The rush afterwords must of last a good hour. And just watching our mate afterwords on the way out really tickled me watching him basiiclly drag his self through the pigeon .

Yeah it was a good night reddood sorry again for it being short notice.
(#4)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 17-07-2010, 15:40

I personally do tend to wander off on my own to set up lights for for the odd 1 or 2 pics. But i only use a compact so i wont get shots no where near as good as an slr. i do take a lot more photos now but they are just more for my own records of where ive been im more for the explore rather than hammering the photos.
Blino is more into the photography now but hes only just got his new camera and still learning. but constructive criticism taken on board and im sure as he gets more used to it we'll learn more techniques .Before we even knew these forums existed we used to just go to these places just to have a look round. So both of us have only recently started to take pictures of were we go.
(#5)
Old

Default 17-07-2010, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4737carlin View Post
Well done on cracking this one.

.... Personally i like to set it up on a timer anyway then stand where i want the light coming from and fire away from there
Never thought of that. I have been using the timer due to the long shutter speeds, but a walk round with the light could be worth a go.
(#6)
Old
Weapon

Default 17-07-2010, 22:48

Nice work!!!!

Hunter? Hunter what? Ain't nobody doing no huntin' up here, fool! This is a party not a safari!
www.facebook.com/jownes
(#7)
Old
Administrator

Default 17-07-2010, 23:40

Good on ya guys!!!