NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Mini-Report: ROF Wrexham July 2010
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Mini-Report: ROF Wrexham July 2010
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Arrow ARCHIVE: Mini-Report: ROF Wrexham July 2010 - 01-08-2010, 18:22

As I was in the area looking at something else, I thought I might as well pop in for a look at this place. A full history can be found on 54Strats excellent report here, so no point me copying and pasting the lot, other than it was opened 1939, closed 1945 and the majority of the site is now covered by the Wrexham Industrial Estate.

Probably not worth travelling to, but worth a mooch if you're in the area, and I'd recommend going in winter when the vegetation is thinner as some of the buildings are just out and out inaccesible unless you've got kevlar clothing and a couple of machetes.

Some kind of curved entrance tunnel to a large pit

Aforementioned large pit^^^^

No sure if this was the foundations for a pipeline or a tank, probably containing something lethal and explosive.

More tunnels. These were quite low, no more than about 6ft in height. I'm guessing that they were used by small narrow gauge railways.

One end of this building was a large bath like area, presumably some kind of cooling or treatment area.

Other end of the building, looks like the bed of a machine.

This looked like it had some kind of nettle and brambles filled moat round it, and really didn't look like it was worth the hassle of trying to access.

There were a few more buildings around but an internets fail beforehand meant I had no access to a map of where everything was, so this was literally a case of exploring paths to see what was there. Not a bad way to pass an hour or so if you're in the area.
Closed Thread