NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Underground Wigan - WW2 Bunker
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Underground Wigan - WW2 Bunker
(#1)
Old
admin

Arrow ARCHIVE: Underground Wigan - WW2 Bunker - 12-03-2010, 18:55

After hearing rumours of a WW2 bunker in Wigan I decided to go take a look. After originally meeting up with a guy I know from the area we went for a mooch where one of the believed entrances were concealed.

Originally opened in 1938, there isn't much history I can find for this place, but but looking at the access I would say that it was used possibly by the forces as well as the public from nearby houses?

Constucted of blast proof concrete this underground network of tunnels was quite substantial and could easily house between at least 200 people confortably if not more.

I did manage to find this old photo of one of the public entrances nearby, which is now sadly sealed and gone forever.

After using a makeshift sling out of some discarded rope, we managed to scale this great big iron fence in order to reach our intended destination, needles to say it wasn't long before we spotted the access point.

In no time we were down the ladder and underground once again. This bunker was relatively small compared to others I have visited, but is always interesting to experience first hand how people spent their time during the blitz.

Unfortunately all other entrances were capped or built over, and as you can see from the photos many sections of tunnel have been backfilled.

*MOD NOTE*NO ACCESS PICTURES PLEASE!!*

I am fascinated by such places and hope to see more like it over time, and indeed if anyone has any more info about such places then please feel free to share.

Thanks for looking

Backfilled Tunnels - Some accessible (Just)

Air Shaft

Oil Drum

Passageway, with gate possibly leading to public section?

Smoking or Non-Smoking

'Searching for water'

Darkness.....

....Take pictures and leave ONLY

Last edited by SparkUK; 13-03-2010 at 03:55. Reason: No access pictures please
Closed Thread