NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: River Douglas. Wigan Underground tunnel. 27/2/09
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: River Douglas. Wigan Underground tunnel. 27/2/09
(#1)
Old

Arrow ARCHIVE: River Douglas. Wigan Underground tunnel. 27/2/09 - 28-02-2009, 16:03

quite a mad night for myself and cossienick. we were walking through Wigan during the day looking for explores. the only thing we came up with needed checking out after dark for secuirity etc. whilst checking this out, we came across a tunnel which ran along the side of the river douglas. unfortunately about 30 ft below the nearest piont. so, after much thought, and then basically saying "f*** it" we selotaped waterproof pants to our wellies and began wading.
the easiest access to the dougie was further downstream. wading was tuff going as the water was too deep at some pionts for our home made waders.
then, the worst thing happened. after battling for ages the water level was higher than the culvert. you could just see the top of the arch above the water.
cossienick's enthusiasm kept us going, and we tried from a different direction. this worked a treat and we were at the tunnel 15 mins later.

the in-accessable route. you can just see the top of the tunnel...

i have no idea why this tunnel was there. there was no drainage holes into it and it ran about 75metres along side the river, and opened both ends to the river.
maybe someone might know what it was there for??

there was no-were to set a tri-pod up and with using my 5mp fixed lens camera, which has a 15 sec exposure limit, taking pics was difficult too.

the entrance...

the other end...

(#2)
Old
Administrator

Default 28-02-2009, 18:08

Brilliant effort lads,love your determination to get the job done.
Was this the tunnel in question?
(#3)
Old
Administrator

Default 28-02-2009, 18:22

Heres where it is http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...09656&t=h&z=17

Last edited by boboil; 28-02-2009 at 18:26.
(#4)
Old

Default 28-02-2009, 20:24

thanx for the replys .
just one picture to add from me , as i havent got round to getting a tripod yet but when i do it wont be scared of putting its feet in water/mud at all (aimed at dubstyle ).

pic of infall blocked with a 1 foot square wooden sleeper about 30ft long and 3 trollys.

i liked the changing brickwork and shape throughout the tunnel. the out fall about 6ft tall was made from large stone bricks and a cobbled floor.
a little way in the roof was then made from regular brickwork and was less egg shaped and more like a normal archway. towards the infall the large stone work started again although the floor was silted up reducing the height to around 4 ft.
no idea what it could of been any info would be great.

found this for you brick fans on the way out .

(#5)
Old
Administrator

Default 22-04-2009, 00:24

Went back tonight for a 2nd tme looking for the Daubhill brick with some better info off Cossienick (cheers mate).
Found said brick along with a few other gems, also found an interesting man made channel of water at the side of the Dougie with a culvert that needs investigating in the canoe as wading even in waders would be a no go as there is a good few feet of silt.
Bricks

Also found this what needs a nosey in

Closed Thread