NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page Bettisfield Colliery, Flint, N. Wales
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Bettisfield Colliery, Flint, N. Wales
(#1)
Old

Default Bettisfield Colliery, Flint, N. Wales - 14-08-2010, 20:59

Afaid, but this is another "been past many times, but this time I stopped and looked".

It's on the old coast road, heading north and just past Bagilt on the right. It's now a car scrapyard.

A bit of history from : Welsh Coal Mines

At different times throughout the 19th century, there were at least 11 known coal pits in Bagillt. Bettisfield was the largest and most important of these.
Owned by the Bettisfield Colliery Co. Ltd. it was opened in 1872.
From the Inspector of Mines list 1896, there were 538 men employed including 100 surface workers, producing House and Steam coal.
The two Shafts sunk to a depth of 290 yards. One shaft was 17ft. diameter, and the other l0ft. 6in.
By 1908 it was in the hands of the Bagillt Coal Co. Ltd. employing 641men.
Bettisfield Colliery Ltd. were again the owners by 1918 and at this time the total workforce numbered 450.
In 1923 a total workforce of 502 produced House and Steam coal from the One, Two and Three Yard seams and the Queen and Five feet seams.
It closed around 1934.

From the Durham Mining Museum : Durham Mining Museum

Bettisfield, Bagillt Manager: John Holliday Johnson , 438 men underground 100 men overground
Registered Office: 23, Grey Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne
Class of Coal: Gas, Household, Steam
Directors: Proffitt, J., Aldridge House, Woking, Straker, A. C., Hulgrave Hall, Tiverton, Tarporley, Straker, C. E., Highwarden, Hexham
Secretary: Price, A. W.
Collieries/Mines Owned
Bettisfield, Nos. 1 & 2, Bagillt Manager: D. McD. Kerr 420 men underground 107 men overground
Registered Office: 23, Grey Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne
Seams Worked: Three Yard, 5 Feet, Diamond
Power Used: Electric. Voltage: 440
Annual Output: 150,000 tons
Class of Coal: Gas, Household, Steam
Directors: Straker, A. C., The Lower Hall, Broxton, Cheshire, Straker, C. E., High Warden, Hexham, Straker, H. A., High Warden, Hexham, Wood, Hugh, Collingwood Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne
Secretary: Rose, William
Bettisfield Bagillt manager: W. H. Stothard 330 men underground 85 men overground

I was told by a local, that in the 1960's it was operating as an opencast, but the site does not appear big enough for the recorded depth of coal.

1870's map. Looking at this 1870n map, the main buildings appear to have been west of the railway line, the colliery obviously developed and the new shaft and buildings were put on the other side (east) of the railway line.

And a more modern Google Earth map:

First view, the massive winding house. The main shaft was in the stone structure at the rear, it still has a tall vent pipe:

Supports that went out to the headgear:

What I was told was the lamphouse:

Bettisfield Bob, a local statue by Mike Owens of a miner:

(#2)
Old
admin

Default 14-08-2010, 21:55

Brilliant!

....Take pictures and leave ONLY
(#3)
Old

Default 14-08-2010, 22:32

was there 12.30 today myself getting strut for swmbos car .. theres supposed to be loads of stuff left inside the main building but im not so sure it being a scrappy and all.. also theres som kind of order on the buildings, I think the owners have been told they now have a duty of care as one of the buildings down the road (an old 1890s warehouse) recently was taken down due to being unstable, I really hope they look after the place it was a massive industrial area at the time, just a quick note if your interested, there are some limestone kilns hidden over the road from the main entrance from the road which have really just dissapeared out of site and worth documenting , I may even go tomorrow for a nosey.

Marty

nid oes bradwr yn y ty hwn
(#4)
Old

Default 14-08-2010, 22:37

We were there at around 16:00 !

It was entirely unplanned as well, just somewhere before going to Asda. I believe the building is listed, but doing anything looks very expensive. Please take a look at the kilns. The rest of the 25 inch 1870 map reveals allsorts.
(#5)
Old
Administrator

Default 14-08-2010, 22:39

Superb find Phil and a cracking report as well.

Egregious!
(#6)
Old

Default 14-08-2010, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by n10694 View Post
We were there at around 16:00 !

It was entirely unplanned as well, just somewhere before going to Asda. I believe the building is listed, but doing anything looks very expensive. Please take a look at the kilns. The rest of the 25 inch 1870 map reveals allsorts.
will do, Ive got a copy of the map somewhere.

M

nid oes bradwr yn y ty hwn
(#7)
Old
Blackinese

Default 16-08-2010, 19:01

Seen it from the train a few times and thought it looked colliery-like.

Lovely write-up.

Smoke dope. Worship Satan.
My Manchester
(#8)
Old
Administrator

Default 19-08-2010, 15:06

Top find, its sad but I reckon that building will go unless the scrappy has a personal interest in it.