NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Asylums & Hospitals
Reload this Page Denbigh Asylum 25th Nov 2010 - First ever URBEX
Asylums & Hospitals Pretty self explanatory this one.

Denbigh Asylum 25th Nov 2010 - First ever URBEX
(#1)
Old

Default Denbigh Asylum 25th Nov 2010 - First ever URBEX - 16-12-2010, 21:44

Recently did a photography course and loved urban photography - decided to google interesting urban places to photo, and stumbled upon this site. My photography is in the early stages, so please let me have constructive criticism and suggestions. I now have a tripod and remote clicker too, for darker rooms.

Denbigh caught my eye, as I did a lot of psychology studies when I was younger and am fascinated by the treatment of asylum patients in days gone by before ethics really kicked in.

So I read past reports on Denbigh, and in particular about Beardy, and although very nervous the whole time around, we didn't see Beardy once. I was gonna hide my camera and play the dumb, apologetic blonde if I saw him - "oh I'm sorry, didn't realise this was private property".

I wanted to go mid-week as I thought security would be less then, but the only person available to come with me was my mum. She's very open minded and loves adventure, but it turned out her mum side still kicked in - "I can hear someone!" "The floors aren't safe!" "It's too dark to go in there!" "There's asbestos there!".

We had a great time but I felt like I couldn't be as risky as I wanted to, and I also think I missed loads from not being with someone who knew their way around.

I didn't see the morgue, or the weighing scales, or any electric chairs, or the control room. I'd love to go back again with someone who knows the place a bit better than me.

So if anyone would like to go back between Christmas and New Year (or to anywhere else), I'd love to do some more explores of 2010.

Until then, here are my pictures...

(#2)
Old

Default 16-12-2010, 22:33

Its a good little mooch! I enjoyed it when we were there.. although I did feel as though I was being followed at one point!

Nice shots, I like the second.
(#3)
Old
is a 'member'

Default 16-12-2010, 22:35

Ive still to do Denbigh. Some good photo's there

"Try again.......Fail again.......Fail Better!".............Samual Beckett.....
(#4)
Old
Urban Ninja

Default 16-12-2010, 23:35

Hello and welcome to the forums. Good to see you had a good look around, although I highly doubt any electric chairs and/or control systems are left now, due to asset stripping by the owners, and then pikeys moving in and stealing most of the remaing stuff.

It's a shame you havent been able to see her first hand when she wasnt in such a bad state

...Falling through floors so you don't have to
(#5)
Old

Default 17-12-2010, 13:27

Nice report

I do wanna go back again and spend a bit more time in the front part of the site as i think there is a fair bit i missed up there.

The Morgue and Scales are round the back near the Chapel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"
(#6)
Old
Junglist

Default 17-12-2010, 14:11

Nice!! For a first go thats ace mate.

Still need to visit this place I do!

M38 REP
(#7)
Old

Default 19-12-2010, 08:44

Thanks a lot guys. I would love to go back, so if anyone fancies a trip over there between Christmas and New Year at all, then it'd be great to go.
(#8)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 19-12-2010, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blino View Post
Its a good little mooch! I enjoyed it when we were there.. although I did feel as though I was being followed at one point!

Nice shots, I like the second.

You put a little brown parcel in your pants when you was trying to take a pic of that wheel chair.

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#9)
Old

Default 19-12-2010, 16:38

Yep, had to bail on it quick!

The pic has got a ghosted type image over it too, its wierd! Ive not shown it you yet! Although I probably just knocked the camera as I looked over my shoulder etc..!
(#10)
Old
Urban Ninja

Default 19-12-2010, 22:46

Ive had lots of pics with ghostly people in them, but theyre mostly minxy or sloth gettin in my shot

...Falling through floors so you don't have to