NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Heritage and non Urbex
Reload this Page Walton Locks, Warrington. 06/10
Heritage and non Urbex Non urbex related reports and places,
but still interesting and photogenic nonetheless!

(#11)
Old

Default 30-06-2010, 20:16

If you look hard enough you can trace the old Runcorn Latchford Canal back to the Manchester Ship Canal in Runcorn. It cuts through Moore Nature reserve and if you look hard enough you can trace its path using the sand stone blocks that usually sit in the tow path.

I will get my arse into gear and get some shots on here.
(#12)
Old
Just say NO

Default 01-07-2010, 14:58

I got some good pics from the water on Saturday. I'll put 'em up later.

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010
walton locks
(#13)
Old
romany2504

Default walton locks - 11-07-2010, 22:15

I grew up in this area we used to play down here as a kid watching the dredger boats come of the ship canal on to the mersey to keep it dredged. this section of the mersey is the old route which went across gainsborough
road and through the park which is the old river bed where the old concrete
barges were. then it carried on to bridgefoot. the section of river that runs along chester road is man made. there used to be a lock keepers hut a the side of the lock. he used to turn the set of wheels which opened the sluice gate to let the water in or out, the gauge is to tell if the sluice was open or closed. the other wheels were on chains to open the gates.
they where going to reopen the locks up and redredge the river so it would look nice before they started the building work on the old wood yard
and put a little marina where the water opens up on the ship canal.
but im not sure if thats still going ahead because peel holdings who own the ship canal say it will cost to much, but was quick enough to sell the land where the wood yard once stood for housing.
(#14)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 11-07-2010, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by romany2504 View Post
but im not sure if thats still going ahead because peel holdings who own the ship canal say it will cost to much, but was quick enough to sell the land where the wood yard once stood for housing.
One of peel holdings best skills. They must make some serious "donations" to the local counselors to get away with what they do.

Visit my blog NOW - www.dspexplores.com
(#15)
Old
GRIFFTHEBEARD

Default 10-08-2011, 17:54

If you want to see these remains you will have to be quick about it.
The old wood yard, Naylors, on the A5060 Is being built on and part of the deal is to cross this bit of the old route of the Mersey with a shared use path to join the site to the Transpennine Trail.
The lock is the most stable point for this.