NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Oakely Glodfa Ganol show mine, Blaenau Ffestiniog, June and july 2012
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Oakely Glodfa Ganol show mine, Blaenau Ffestiniog, June and july 2012
(#1)
Old
Easily Led

Default Oakely Glodfa Ganol show mine, Blaenau Ffestiniog, June and july 2012 - 25-07-2012, 01:06

Report posted in Deeper underground to avoid future access problems to Cwmorthin... This report is based on two visits with Walsh, Ojay, Ninja boy, Xan Asmodi and Deviant one in the pouring rain and one in Glorious sunshine but both visits were Big fun.

some History

Oakeley is reputed to be the largest underground slate mine in the world, and it’s not hard to believe. The daddy of the Blaenau mines has a long and complex history, originally starting out as a number of smaller mines eventually merging into one enormous complex. It’s not called Oakeley today. It’s known as Ffestiniog Quarry and owned by McApline, who are presently untopping it on a massive scale and as a result most of the original underground mine has been destroyed. Much of what’s not been destroyed by the untopping is now either collapsed, under water, or cut off from access. Despite this, there is still enough left to get completely lost in for days.

Not so long ago Oakeley opened a small section up for tourists, known as Glodfa Ganol. It closed down in (I believe) the late 1980’s and has lain disused ever since. This tourist section plus other workings around it can still be visited to this day by mine explorers, though it is strongly not recommended due to the constant quarrying explosions above causing continuous roof-falls. They are not safe workings to explore.

I took some video which is a bit of a montage from both trips, also some good footage of Deviants Carbide lamp

http://youtu.be/QLZlvnc4dHc

firstly the staircase that we passed in Cwmorthin on our way to the show mine..me,Xan, Deviant and Walsh at the top of the stairs

Inside the show mine, the fences surround a chamber

A cart set up for the tourist

some large supports holding up the roof above the passage

In the mine there were lots of dummies in various states of disemblement that were used in the displays, this one had been squashed by a collapse, the outer part of the mine really was a death trap.

Over here!

this one was otherwise engaged

Outside the mine entrance, this is were the tourists would come in, the processing plant is in the distance

Even weirder...the pain of creation, these things had really suffered

Newspaper dated 1932

le fag packet

Lit with deviants carbide lantern

El grupo shot Ojay, me, walsh and Ninjaboy.

Thanks for looking
(#2)
Old
Donuts-я-Us

Default 25-07-2012, 21:18

yes yes! I Gotta go just to see those stairs!