NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page Lead Smelting Kilns Bettisfield, Bagillt
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Lead Smelting Kilns Bettisfield, Bagillt
(#1)
Old

Arrow Lead Smelting Kilns Bettisfield, Bagillt - 16-08-2010, 21:18

Just over the road from Bettisfield Colliery there are some Lead kilns or smelting furnaces , (I cant really decide what they are maybe someone will know, I should just stick to mines) Hidden in the trees and bushes (near the Lyons Den Gym), after looking at n10694 thread regarding the Colliery I thought about just nipping over for a nosey yesterday afternoon with Meaty and took a few pictures, The Kilns themselves are very overgrown and hard to find, there must be around 30-40 kilns/furnaces easily, most are covered in the undergrowth and buried under soil but there just everywhere and its easy to stand on top of one of the flues that run behind them and fall in to a hole where the ceiling has gone and all the bricks have fallen in. Im almost certain that this place has been forgotten about its so overgrown its hard to think they are there and is so easily missed any way on with the few pics i took.

Marty

A pdf of lead smelting, http://www.pdmhs.com/PDFs/ScannedBul...hteenth%20.pdf

Meaty at the first of many furnaces.

Looking down the back of the flue behind the first furnace.

Two kiln/furnaces/flues, make your own mind up. the next two pics are of the one Meaty is near.

Meaty next to five or six large kilns/furnaces half buried

nid oes bradwr yn y ty hwn
(#2)
Old

Default 16-08-2010, 22:23

I'd have never guessed. Tarby probably knows all about them !
(#3)
Old

Default 17-08-2010, 01:31

Nice one, I so missed this.

I was over this way a while back, checking out a small brick chapel a few yards up the road and another building next to the railway; any ideas what this is? From a satellite view you can see two huge rectangular water filled tanks.With 'Deep Water' warnings and it's location, it's probably some kind of pumping station dating from the 50's. Looks disused though.

Anyways, here's a map from 1899 showing the kilns.

(#4)
Old
Administrator

Default 19-08-2010, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Strat View Post
Nice one, I so missed this.

I was over this way a while back, checking out a small brick chapel a few yards up the road and another building next to the railway; any ideas what this is? From a satellite view you can see two huge rectangular water filled tanks.With 'Deep Water' warnings and it's location, it's probably some kind of pumping station dating from the 50's. Looks disused though.

Anyways, here's a map from 1899 showing the kilns.

Those tanks do look interesting, never seen anything quite like it before
(#5)
Old

Default 17-08-2010, 15:20

The building you refer to in the link is the pumping station currently for kimberly clark in Flint but was originally the water supply for John Summers Steel and Iron works factory in Shotton (see link) http://www.angelfire.com/fl/shotton/history11.html . you also have a pm from me,

Cheers Marty

(#6)
Old
Professional curmudgeon

Default 17-08-2010, 21:07

Very interesting indeed, well found! The upper works here was smelting and processing zinc. Please could you put up an exact location for these furnaces on Google Maps or perhaps a grid reference?

Cheers,
(#7)
Old

Default 17-08-2010, 22:22

Streetmap with grid ref at bottom.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...ay=376007&lm=0

Google Street View, Look behind the trees loads of em. I only live down the road from here.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,179.24,,0,5

(#8)
Old
Professional curmudgeon

Default 18-08-2010, 18:45

Thanks for the precise location.

I don't think that the brick structures shown on the majority of the photos are going to be furnaces as they don't match any lead smelter that I have seen. It is possible these are some sort of flue system for condensing fumes. I shall certainly have to pay a visit to this site for a close inspection.

With regard to the site, the Dee Bank Lead Works had a long history of processing the local lead ores and was purchased in the nineteenth century by the Walkers, the Rotherham ironmasters who had diversified into lead manufacture during the eighteenth century. In 1879 the works is listed as operated by Joseph Walker, Parker and Co., Dee Bank, Bagillt, and Newcastle. Products included milled lead and seamless lead pipes. After a long period of low profitability and internal arguments the partnership was dissolved in 1889 and the assets were sold to a newly formed public company, Walkers Parker and Company. Continuing poor financial performance finally saw the company absorbed into Associated Lead Manufacturers when it was formed in 1924. As far as I can tell the Bagillt works was closed in 1927.

A couple of historical images found on the web

Dee Bank lead works

Lead workers at Dee Bank c1910
(#9)
Old

Default 18-08-2010, 19:03

Thanks for that Tarboat , Ive seen those pictures before whilst looking for more information , I will agree that they are probably more flu like than actual furnaces but its certainly worth a look if you know what your looking at and know about them.

pm me if you want to meet up for a vist to them,

Cheers Marty

(#10)
Old
Old Git

Default 20-08-2010, 01:32

First pic reminds me of coke ovens especially if there are banks of them near a colliery.