NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Leisure & Other
Reload this Page Millbrooks secrets. Manchester 1210
Leisure & Other Religious buildings, Swimming pools, Hotels, Railway related stuff.
Or any other places that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

Millbrooks secrets. Manchester 1210
(#1)
Old

Default Millbrooks secrets. Manchester 1210 - 31-12-2010, 15:34

Millbrook Railway platform and sheds
I spotted this building in Google Earth – just like another big goods shed just close by! It is part of the track run that delivered coal to the Hartshead power station up to the 1970.s before its’ closure. Since then the whole area has overgrown and been swallowed by the woods. It’s kind of eerie to be walking through them and suddenly find yourself on a section of cobbled road, pipeline bridges and buildings like these! It is an old small goods shed and a platform that served the many coal delivery trains.
Now they stand empty, run down and isolated.

Using a website I found called e-mapping Victorian Cheshire; it shows two maps beside each other. One can be maps from 1875, 1910, 1970’s aerial and modern day map! So the two maps can show the exact same place for historical comparisons!
Here is an example – showing a modern Google maps view by a 1970’s aerial!
The difference is striking! Left – modern day, right – 1970’s with all the tracks.

South side.

Internal 1.

Internal 2 – don’t move that last brick!

Sheds entrances.

A platform!

Taken from the platform!

Forgotten in the woods!
(#2)
Old
Administrator

Default 31-12-2010, 18:18

Interesting, I don't recall seeing a report on this place before. Did you get a look at the big old railway warehouse nearby?
(#3)
Old

Default 31-12-2010, 21:45

I grew up in Mossley, and used to "play" here as a kid.... ah! memories.

Casey's pretty much want to redevelop the area: http://www.hartsheadruralpark.com/

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. " Douglas Adams
(#4)
Old

Default 01-01-2011, 04:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Interesting, I don't recall seeing a report on this place before. Did you get a look at the big old railway warehouse nearby?
Yes, I went there a while back and met some other urbexers, they kindly added shots of the overhead conveyor!

http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4037
(#5)
Old
" get oif mioy laand"

Default 01-01-2011, 08:48

Millbrook goods shed is the last remaing of the four on what was known as the micklehurst loop which ran from digglejn to stalybridge .It had 3 tunnels at ryefields (diggle) which is backfilled at one end Royalgeorge which is completley filled and stalybridge no2 which is intact .The line was closed to passenger traffic in 1917 as a war economy measure and remained as a goods only line untill closure in 1968 .Track was lifted between millbrook and diggle in 1974 leaving the spur to serve the power station .The warehouse at uppermill was used to store road salt untill 1976 when it along with many of the bridges and vaiducts along the route were demolished a swimming pool and allweather football pitch now occupie thats site. at greenfield the warehouse lasted to about 1981 when it to was demolished and the land converted to an equestrian centre with only the cobbled road and yard remaining .Dont know when the warehouse at micklhurst went but belive its location to now be a caravan storage yard .Virtualy the whole line can still be walked or ridden having been converted to a linea path in the late 80s.Of the former buildings still in use the station masters house at uppermill is a private dwelling as is the same at greenfield the acctual station itself at micclehurst is also private house. The whole route can be a pleasant walk or ride and when combined with the adjacent towpaths of the huddersfield narrow canal can make an interesting circular tour from stalybridge

"all for one and phuq the rest "!

"paddle faster i hear banjos"
Update anyone?
(#6)
Old
paulmichael

Default Update anyone? - 27-08-2011, 21:59

I've been looking at this site for a while and planning an assault! Does anyone have an update on the situation re the proposed Casey re-development?
(#7)
Old

Default 28-08-2011, 14:56

Its safe for now... Work won't be starting for some time yet, they are still consulting locals.

There was a meeting on the 19th July this year – open to all local residents – to view the latest plans. I think in principle people are supportive of the site being developed. But suspect that once the houses have been built Caseys will lose interest in the development of the “rural park” and other improvements they have promised in the area…

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. " Douglas Adams
(#8)
Old

Arrow 22-11-2011, 11:18

NOTIES are now dotted around the site they mention the
  • goods shed
  • power station
  • print works

next time i am up there i shall take a picture of the notices

it seems that the good shed may be converted into 23 appartments

its a great site and after soo many year exploreing there i am still finding new things.
(#9)
Old
" get oif mioy laand"

Default 23-11-2011, 06:57

thats if there anything left of the goods shed by the time they start !the local pikey scrap merchant is slowly stripping anything of value out . corner plinths have been dug out ready for removal all the floor strapping had been ripped out and piled up ready for removal last week also the stone window sills and plinths and flags are being dug out the trap doors have been smashed out and the ingress of the elements is increasing the damage this guy is doing is phenominal .hes already stripped out all the conveyor in the tunnel for scrap anything made of metal is being hoverd up by this guy .
plus there is evidence of the local chavs using this as there "club " of an evening with numerous fires being lit only amatter of time before one catches hold

"all for one and phuq the rest "!

"paddle faster i hear banjos"
(#10)
Old

Default 26-11-2011, 14:25

i been going there for 7-8 years and i must say that over the last few years things have gone its a shame that this happens