NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page ARCHIVE - Griffe Mill, Stanbury, nr Haworth 29-08-2008
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE - Griffe Mill, Stanbury, nr Haworth 29-08-2008
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Default ARCHIVE - Griffe Mill, Stanbury, nr Haworth 29-08-2008 - 31-08-2008, 21:02

I first spotted this place earlier in the year when I was driving back from Ivy Bank Mill in Haworth. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of a chimney, way down the bottom of the valley. Having nowhere to stop as it was a narrow road, I thought I’d look for a road at the bottom of a steep valley, but there wasn’t one, just a stream.

Anyway, later on I checked out Google earth and found what looked like a ruin, so I added it to my ‘do later in the year’ list. Well it’s now later in the year, so I though I’d better have a look! As predicted, it is indeed a ruin, but also strangely intact. I'd have got more internal photos, but for the fact it sounds like the mother of all wasps nests inside somewhere - I didn't hand around long enough to look for it!

History – the mill was built in the early 19th century and by 1850 was a worsted mill The mill shut in the 1920’s, and would appear to have been derelict ever since! Mind you when you consider the lack of access, it’s probably no surprise!

Despite Google Earth showing Griffe Lane going down the hill from Stanbury to the mill, only the first 50 yards are recognisable as a road – the remainder is best described as a field. How on earth they got heavy loads of coal and cotton down there is anyone’s guess.

It's in there somewhere

Unusually low door

Inside, in an outside sort of way

I felt like I was in a castle here

Chimney, with the mill lodge to the left.

I'm guessing that as the chimney is above and to the right of these structures that this may have been the boiler house.

Mill lodge to the left, mill behind the trees.

Compare this view with the old one:

http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/hi...ge.asp?pic=122
Closed Thread