NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Another 3 days of underground - Derbyshire Weekend
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Another 3 days of underground - Derbyshire Weekend
(#1)
Old

Default Another 3 days of underground - Derbyshire Weekend - 25-05-2011, 11:47

The weekend was arranged on Adit Now and the dates were set we just needed to work out where to go. The first trip was the reason for the weekend so that was set as the Masson / Gentlewomans Shaft - Youds level through trip. The second day was meant to be Odin but after a recent collapse we fished around and Snake Mine came up. Seeing as a lot of the group were coming a long way and heading over the night before we decided to think of something local to do on the Friday evening tokill a bit of time, a local stone mine sprang to mind

Friday evening

Then on to Saturdays trip.

The Mines of Masson Hill have been previously described by Flindall and Hayes (1976) and Flindall and Swain (above2 whose
survey reached as far as Gentlewomen's Engine Shaft, whilst Workman (1974) described an isolated shaft and working, probably on
Shining Rock Vein. The almost simultaneous rediscovery of an extension eastwards, towards Matlock, of Gentlewomen's Pipe, and of
a sough system now identified as Ringing Rake and Masson Sough in 1977, led after much digging through blockages to a connection of the systems.

My previos pics of the Sough tail are here - http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6712

I had a dumb moment and forgot my camera hot shoe for the tripod so ending up leaving the tripod on the end of the rope for hauling up after rather than dragging it through so all my pics in this one are flash jobbies.

The Gentlewomans pitch is 45m straight down a pipe vein so get a bit narrow in places but is a good fun abseil.

Didnt get many pictures of the stopes due to no tripod but there is plenty of graffiti to admire.

The overseer

Some rather old dates

Then comes the squeezes

A quick video too - http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd...57626665370411

Next is the coffin level and seeing as i had already got some pics there i decided to storm out and go and relax in the sun while the others explored the fun of a 4.5ft tall coffin level

Sunday saw us back in hopton for Snake Mine. No one i had heard of before but certainly looked interesting. 250 ft Engine shaft abseil and then similar heigh in climbing ways back up didnt look to appealing tho

The abb in was superb with plenty to see on the way. Near the bottom you pendulum into a level and go exploring before dropping to the bottom of the shaft again.

Bit of info on snake here - http://www.pdmhs.com/PDFs/ScannedBul...20Findings.pdf

All in all a damn good weekend but i now have purple knees and i ache all over

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"
(#2)
Old
I hear voices in the dark

Default 25-05-2011, 12:08

As usual Ed - looks out of this world - great stuff .

Its deep but now very light down there... ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
(#3)
Old
Administrator

Default 25-05-2011, 13:20

Good shizzle there Ed. Are you sure about that 'squeeze', it looks like someone trapped under a rather large rock to me!

Egregious!
(#4)
Old

Default 25-05-2011, 13:36

Looks like a fantastic weekend

That squeeze looks like a tough one, only been through one squeeze like that in one of the local mines
(#5)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 25-05-2011, 15:46

stunning pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisey View Post
Good shizzle there Ed. Are you sure about that 'squeeze', it looks like someone trapped under a rather large rock to me!
yeah looks like the roofs come down.

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#6)
Old
Administrator

Default 25-05-2011, 16:48

Grand as owt Edwardo
(#7)
Old
Gobby w***er

Default 25-05-2011, 19:17

Rockchick isn't afraid of a squeeze... most other Mortal or Sane people are though!

My Flickr
(#8)
Old
Fromt posh part of Bolton

Default 25-05-2011, 19:57

Fantastic pics!! - that squeeze looks squeezy!!

It's Dark and Hell is Hot........
(#9)
Old

Default 26-05-2011, 10:48

Lol thanks its a tight squeeze through the dig but its worth it for a fun through trip

Think we should try and get Manx through it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"