NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Military Sites
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: South Lane POW Camp, Widnes, April 09
Military Sites Bunkers, Pillboxes, Forts, Airfields and all ROC & cold war related stuff goes here.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: South Lane POW Camp, Widnes, April 09
(#1)
Old
is a 'member'

Arrow ARCHIVE: South Lane POW Camp, Widnes, April 09 - 15-04-2009, 16:29

The second half of my South Lane Report, This part concentrates on the POW Camp. Again history on this place is difficult to find, but I do know it existed before the AA Battery behind it, and mainly contained Italian POW's. At the site all that remains of the Camp is a main Warehouse, this would have been filled with Bunk beds (origionally there were 2), and the Tower, which its pourpose still remains a mystery. Some people think that its a water tower, personally I think it would have had a gun positioned on the top to look over the prisioners.

The Tower

The Main Building

Unfortunatly before I had chance to go and explore upstairs in the main building, or explore the tower, the local Plod turned up and told me to "Get lost"

I will be returning at some point to have a closer look at the tower.

Tom

"Try again.......Fail again.......Fail Better!".............Samual Beckett.....
(#2)
Old

Default 15-04-2009, 19:13

Seems this is Camp 290 Penketh Hostel, South Lane, Bold; Lancashire (Is that right?) in the official listings of main camps. Unfortunately it seems satellite work camps were not given their official numbers. I am eyeing up a book on Italian POW camps in the UK so if I get it and then remember I'll give you what info I can.
Closed Thread