NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: 180ft Shaft, Glossop - March 2010
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: 180ft Shaft, Glossop - March 2010
(#1)
Old
admin

Arrow ARCHIVE: 180ft Shaft, Glossop - March 2010 - 23-03-2010, 21:33

180ft Shaft, Glossop - Visited By Ojay & Solo1

Been getting round to looking at this for a while now, and after getting 'hooked' on Resis lately and all things underground what better than some 'Off Limits' UU goodness.

This place is nothing short of amazing as I'm sure a select few would agree who have visited this place. Discovered by Solo1 after much research and hardwork, I feel priveleged to be shown such a spectacular feat of engineering.

I'm not going to go into much detail, as access is strictly a no go, those that have been know what I mean, say no more

We first drop down into a smaller shaft and then a long tunnel which carries the water for some distance.

Then up some ladders we are are now into the bottom of the '180ft Shaft' deep in the hills. There are a few valves here and some other stuff associated with the Resi, again I'm not going into to detail.

Bottom Of Shaft Looking Up 180ft Into The Darkness...

Now is the 'Big Climb', 180 ft up into the darkness in this mighty shaft that is home to the 'Valve House' above.

After what seemed like ages we were up and and into the 'Valve House' The first thing that strikes you is the Victorian ballustrade at the top.

Inside the once manual valves have been made electronic, and now radio controlled from afar. Unfortunately I couldn't take any photos in here, as it overlooked a nearby home and infact the kitchen window was literally right next to it, so no waving a torch round in here!

There were 2 huge valves controlling the flow of the 'Water Mains' North & South, as well as some counter weights just underneath the 'Valve House' which I did manage to take a couple of piccy's of.

Looking Down 180ft Into the Darkness....

Anyway after 10 mins or so Solo1 disappeared back down into the darkness, and I followed not long after.

Enjoy

....Take pictures and leave ONLY
Closed Thread