NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Winter-hill work in progress
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Winter-hill work in progress
(#1)
Old

Default Winter-hill work in progress - 10-11-2010, 20:45

Not really sure about this tunnel as I was out walking with no equipment except my camera when I found it. I didn't even have a torch with me, it was just one of those days when I went for a walk but saw a hole in the ground.

I had a bad one at the start of the year not to far from the same location, I have not done a rope trick since!
This looks nice and easy to get back into things, must only be for water, no fireclay or coal and isn't built like a mine. I've already seen one shot of the same tunnel posted on another site but it looks like they just shoved the camera down and didn't go in. I plan to go back in the next few weeks. Anybody been before? I expect it to maybe go to one of the many wells in the area.

This looks almost the same as the shot somebody else has posted.

I have a coupe more of the same place but I can not cope with that photobucket site I joined to upload them! Its so slow that Im going to give up. I might try to upload some to a different photo-sharing site.
(#2)
Old
Blackinese

Default 10-11-2010, 20:53

Looks like an adit judging by the shape and size. Any old mines in the area?

Smoke dope. Worship Satan.
My Manchester
(#3)
Old

Default 10-11-2010, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillette View Post
Looks like an adit judging by the shape and size. Any old mines in the area?
There is an NCB cap not far away but right around this is all water-ways and wells.
(#4)
Old
the bird is the word

Default 11-11-2010, 09:35

Photobucket is really simple and easy to use and it makes the pics a great size for the forum, what sort of problems are you having? Love the avatar by the way!

I am a serious fan, I have the kaleidoscope
(#5)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 11-11-2010, 15:00

Is this at lead miners clough by any chance, it looks similar to one ive seen but not identical, yours looks slightly larger.

This one is for a water course, id assume yours is looking at it.

i keep meaning to go back to this one and going down it, i didnt get chance on the day i was out with the dog and had a long way to walk and i didnt want to be wet for the whole walk.

http://www.about-rivington.co.uk/aca...r_Tunnels.html

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast

Last edited by buddah; 11-11-2010 at 15:13.
(#6)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 11-11-2010, 15:01

do you know if its filled in at the end or does it go round to the right?

(#7)
Old

Default 11-11-2010, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybear View Post
Photobucket is really simple and easy to use and it makes the pics a great size for the forum, what sort of problems are you having? Love the avatar by the way!
Thanks , Photobucket keeps crashing my browser. I must say my internet connection here is awful but the other sites are working fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah View Post
Is this at lead miners clough by any chance, it looks similar to one ive seen but not identical, yours looks slightly larger.
This one is for a water course, id assume yours is looking at it.

i keep meaning to go back to this one and going down it, i didnt get chance on the day i was out with the dog and had a long way to walk and i didnt want to be wet for the whole walk.

http://www.about-rivington.co.uk/aca...r_Tunnels.html
Quote:
do you know if its filled in at the end or does it go round to the right?
Hi, its not at leadmines, it is the one you posted from the other site, I know the chap that runs that site very well.
We did have a nice trip at lead mines but I've never been in the adit that you posted if thats where it is? I don't get up that way much but I have some nice pictures from our trip into the small blocked adit. I'll have to ask if I can post his pictures up as I didn't bother to get my crappy compact out that day. Im using a cheap Lumix bridge cam now, my pictures are getting slightly better but not by much (user error).

Im not sure how far that adit goes that I was in a couple of weeks ago on Winter Hill but as I said after all this bad weather has past then I plan to return. Looks like a nice easy one, wasn't even that wet or dirty.

Last edited by The-Village-Idiot; 11-11-2010 at 15:23.
(#8)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 11-11-2010, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Village-Idiot View Post
Thanks , Photobucket keeps crashing my browser. I must say my internet connection here is awful but the other sites are working fine

Hi, its not at leadmines, it is the one you posted from the other site, I know the chap that runs that site very well.
We did have a nice trip at lead mines but I've never been in the adit that you posted if thats where it is? I don't get up that way much but I have some nice pictures from our trip into the small blocked adit. I'll have to ask if I can post his pictures up as I didn't bother to get my crappy compact out that day. Im using a cheap Lumix bridge cam now, my pictures are getting slightly better but not by much (user error).

Im not sure how far that adit goes that I was in a couple of weeks ago on Winter Hill but as I said after all this bad weather has past then I plan to return. Looks like a nice easy one, wasn't even that wet or dirty.

Ah cool ive been scouting round for some of them of his site to little avail.

No the one ive pictured its not an adit it was used for water it still looks a good explore it just that its only around a foot or a foot and a half at a push high , so you cant avoid the water you have to go in on your belly, at the end is a very tight right hand bend.

To be honest pal i only use a compact i only take pics to say this is were ive been.

This ones an adit to a lead mine but i don't think this is the same as the one that munki has pictured. And its not very long its good to see though.

If you need any help having a look down that tunnel give us a shout

(#9)
Old

Default 11-11-2010, 15:48

Quote:
Ah cool ive been scouting round for some of them of his site to little avail.

No the one ive pictured its not an adit it was used for water it still looks a good explore it just that its only around a foot or a foot and a half at a push high , so you cant avoid the water you have to go in on your belly, at the end is a very tight right hand bend.

To be honest pal i only use a compact i only take pics to say this is were ive been.

This ones an adit to a lead mine but i don't think this is the same as the one that munki has pictured. And its not very long its good to see though.

If you need any help having a look down that tunnel give us a shout
I've been in that adit that you pictured, I know its short but it one of my favorite ones. Any idea what the hole in the floor half way in is all about? I didn't take my cam out at all that day but I've got some pictures . I'll have to ask about posting some up, got some nice ones from Dog-holes at Warton from a couple of months back.
(#10)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 11-11-2010, 15:59

yeah its a really nice tunnel and its hard to imagine its been dug by hand, that is solid rock. Yeah im not sure about that hole i can only imagine they were looking for another seam of lead or it was to extract witherite i really don't know.

Im assuming there are more of these types of mines in the area because i found some small rail way lines near by, some berried and some in the river. So it would be interesting to have a look down them.