NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page Graffiti Power Station, July 2014
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Graffiti Power Station, July 2014
(#1)
Old

Default Graffiti Power Station, July 2014 - 28-07-2014, 11:41

Hello all, I know this one has been done many times so i hope you see something new from the photos.

Brief History of the site
Huncoat power station (also known as Padiham ‘B’) was built by the Lancashire Electric Power Company in the 1950’s as a sister for the power station at Padiham (Padiham ‘A’). Situated on the Burnley coalfield meant that the power station had a ready supply of local coal, and until 1968 was served by a half mile railway line to Huncoat Colliery.

The Power Station had a fairly short life, closure coming in 1984. The cooling towers were brought down in 1988 and the main buildings were demolished in 1990, apart from this one building.

The derelict building also made the news, here is a quote from the article.
'URBAN explorers armed with spray paint cans have transformed the former Huncoat Power Station into a graffiti paradise. Some of their work has been described by experts as ‘strong’ and ‘creative’, reclaiming a derelict building for art and the community.'

My Visit
On the weekend of the visit my partner was away so my daughter was left to look after me, so, she chose a nice safe explore for us .....

Ok ok i will start again...

As this site is very safe compared to most places we have been, myself and my friend decided it would be safe to take the kids with us. I am glad we did as they really enjoyed themselves looking around at all the graffiti.

Even though the site is small we still managed to spend 3 hours here. So many opportunities for pictures with all the amazing colours left on show by the graffiti artists.

I was rather surprised how much I enjoyed the time we spent here even with the lack of features.

Finally I would like to say thanks to the person who recommended this site to me as a safe explore when you have children. Thanks mate, you know who you are

Ok time for some pics....

Outside the Power Station

Group Photo Inside

Main Room on the ground floor

Some of the amazing Graffiti

A few shots taken during the day for Giggles

No fluids were released in creating this photo!

We found an empty spray can on the floor and decided why not!

The four kids having fun!

I will now finish up with my favourite shot of the day. My daughter loved this graffiti and asked for a photo in front of it.

More Images Available on Flickr
The images above are just a small selection of the images I have edited. I will be adding lots more photos of Huncoat Power Station on my Flickr page which can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/119757...7645956324051/

Final thoughts
Although a small site I enjoyed every minute we spent here. We did see a couple more explorers on the day as well, one talked to us for a short time and the other two that appeared a little later on disappeared into thin air!

So, overall a great day with the kids who loved it just as much as the big kids!

Thanks for reading,

Dugie