NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE - The Greater Nenthead Traverse - Dec 09
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE - The Greater Nenthead Traverse - Dec 09
(#1)
Old

Default ARCHIVE - The Greater Nenthead Traverse - Dec 09 - 10-12-2009, 21:09

Well the time finally came. After some amazing work clearing the blockage of the Nentsberry Haggs level the full traverse was back again. I have wanted to do this trip ever since i first heard of it a year ago and finally found a willing guide

Visited with BigJobs

The trip entails a 9.25Km 7 Mine and 8 Sublevel Traverse

The Mines are

Caplecleugh,
Longcleugh,
Smallcleugh,
Rampgill,
Scaleburn,
Brownley Hill
and finally
Nentsberry Hagg's

The day started by meeting in the car park and Nenthead. Quickly changed and 2 of us set off to leave a car by the exit (to save a long walk back in the dark ) The others headed off into Rampgill to drop a few ropes off to save us the hassle of carrying them through the full traverse.

Then came the customary pic at the beginning

Once in Capelcleugh we headed past the stables and up the incline

Once at the first junction we headed off to find the ladders into the Sub level below Smallcleugh.

Here we found loads of artifacts and enough to warrant a good few more trips

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"
(#2)
Old

Default 10-12-2009, 21:11

We stopped for a quick bite and then on to the climb to Smallcleugh. A quick prussic up a rope and into the upper level we then continued to the blockage at Bogs Shaft another quick prussic up 2 ropes founds us dropping in above the cross vein and then a quick drop down saw us heading up second vein and towards Prouds Sump.

A short abseil down Prouds then takes us to the sub level and then a short slippy slide down to a lower sub level From there we decided on lunch and climbed up into Prouds Flats for a dry place to sit

This is where i took my last photo of the trip as i decided i was delaying us to much and we were in for a lot of water so the camera went away.

After a long walk we finally came to Hangingshaw Branch Level of Ramgill mine. We finally reached Whisky bottle junction and a short distance after we found our ropes We then turned right up Scaleburn Cross Vein and up through the famous steps. A bit of poking around finally took us to Browns Sump and a short pitch took us to the lower sub level. Then came the fun abseil. A 40M pitch down a narrow stoping took us to the lower cross vein and a loooong section of deep cold water. One lad was nearly swimming at this point lol. We finally reached the Engine Shaft junction. Bearing right took us then up into Brownleys hills North Middle Vein and onto the connection to the final leg of the Trip. A narrow hole and ladder took us down to the Haggs Level and a long slog out in varying depths of water. Finally we hit the exit gate and out into the open air

(Not my pics i had put my camera away at this point so have pinched one of the other lads pics )

A quick check on the time gave us the answer. 8.5 hours underground and was time for the pub

This is an overlay of the trip on an OS map (have made it large so its clickable )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"
Closed Thread