Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Tempelhof Airport, Berlin, Feb 2010
Rest of the World Sites outside the UK.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Tempelhof Airport, Berlin, Feb 2010
(#1)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Arrow ARCHIVE: Tempelhof Airport, Berlin, Feb 2010 - 10-02-2010, 17:21

This version of Tempelhof Airport was designed by Prof. Ernst Sagebiel and built between 1936 and 1941, it replaced an earlier (1927) construction on the same site and was drawn up as part of Hitler’s ambitions to turn Berlin into ‘Germania’, with processional axes to match those of the great European capitals. Tempelhof was not used as an airfield during WWII, but its many tunnels were used to assemble and repair planes out of sight of Allied bombing raids. Following WWII and the partitioning of Germany, the airport became the link between West Berlin and the rest of the world during the Soviet blockades of 1948. It continued as a US military airfield until 1994 when civil aviation returned to its tarmac. Despite protests, the airport was finally closed in 2008, though many parts of the complex remain in use for other functions.

The front door was well and truly locked when I arrived and a quick chat with a friendly German chap revealed that it was possible to book tours at 4.00pm by arrangement. This was no good to me as I had other commitments later in the day, yet was determined to get back inside.

I made a pilgrimage here in 2004 when the airport was still open.

As we all know, where there is a will, there is a way and some perseverance and lateral thinking paid off and I duly found myself inside. I was not alone, there were other bodies about, but one of those ‘who is actually the offcial here?’ sort of moments ensued and I was not challenged. I tentatively felt my way around as much as I was comfortable with and eventually picked an open door that led me out into the hangar and beyond. As you can see from the plan below, the pace is huuuge.

Plan of Templehof, the parts I explored are only the central areas, but other bits of the building were occupied, one as a police station!

This model photo shows Templehof (mid-right) in relation to the overall plan for Germania, Hitler’s proposed reconfigured Berlin designed by Albert Speer

On approach, note the eagle in the top left of the shot.

Front door was very locked.

Once inside, the rigour of the fenestration in the façade is apparent.

As these part elevations illustrate.

The main departure hall, as seen in the Mastercard adverts where all the planes are cancelled and the fella is trying to get home for Christmas.

Same hall, as envisaged by the architect.

Hall from entrance end.

Hall side view.

Mezzanine level to main hall.

Proper old neon signage.

Don’t forget dinner, very important for the air traveler.

Moving through security…

and on to the main curved hangar.

Once again the striking similarity between the finished product >>

and the intent, can be seen here – I guess that’s what dictatorships do for consistency?!

Hangar at grade.

Unbelievable, I made it airside without raising a terror alert.

Shot of the day for me.

Took this one on the way out and fiddled furiously with camera settings as German policeman looked as if he was about to challenge me as to what I was up to. He didn’t….phew.

peace

NMB

photos here too
Closed Thread