NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Nenthead - Caplecleugh - May Bank holiday - Day 2
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Nenthead - Caplecleugh - May Bank holiday - Day 2
(#1)
Old

Arrow ARCHIVE: Nenthead - Caplecleugh - May Bank holiday - Day 2 - 06-05-2010, 21:02

Sunday saw us doning wet suits ready for a trip into Caplecleugh to check out some rises i saw when doing the traverse last year. The water level varies in here from a few inches to about 1.5m deep and is very cold.

The history -

Very little is known about the start of this mine as the vein was mainly worked originally by shafts up old carr's burn. From 1750 to 1894 there were many leases of the vein and not much was produced till the late 1890's when the Nenthead and Tynedale LEad and Zinc Company drove a level in the cross vein producing 104 bings of lead and 520 tons of Zinc. The lease then passed to the Vielle Montagne Zinc Company ( A Belgian zinc company named after the mine in La Calamine - The mines name is French for "the old mountain" ) This company worked an oreshoot in the great limestone and worked the vein for around 850ft.

On with the pics

On climbing the man way next to the ore shoot we checked out a mid level I had been told about that was very easy to miss if your not looking. The level takes you to a filled tube and a nice ore shoot.

Looking back at the man way / ore shoot

On climbing to the top of the Man way we started checking out the flats and found a lot of artifacts left in the upper levels

Detonator Box

Looking at the top of the Man way and the ore shoot

After a few hours of exploring we headed out of the horse level and got clean and dry ready for food

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"
Closed Thread