NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Old rail tunnel - Chequerbent - April 2011
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

(#11)
Old
Fromt posh part of Bolton

Default 06-04-2011, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah View Post
Good pictures, was the old wooden steps gone. If they are still there you can get in on that side, the railings where loose and you could just about squeeze over the top of them.

That culvert looks interesting, is it close to that railway bridge?

Oh ive just noticed theres a pipe missing there used to be four pipes down there.
Yes the wooden steps have gone, now metal on both sides, I went down when they were wooden (I know the guy who owns the field) but its totally locked now. There used too be 5 pipes many years ago. That culvert isnt a million miles away

It's Dark and Hell is Hot........
(#12)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 06-04-2011, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Yes the wooden steps have gone, now metal on both sides, I went down when they were wooden (I know the guy who owns the field) but its totally locked now. There used too be 5 pipes many years ago. That culvert isnt a million miles away

Ah right i only seen it when there was 4 pipes but that was still about 17 years ago. I remember them steps well though proper rickerty they seemed ready top collapse at any moment.

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#13)
Old

Default 06-04-2011, 16:59

Quote:
Ah right i only seen it when there was 4 pipes but that was still about 17 years ago. I remember them steps well though proper rickerty they seemed ready top collapse at any moment.
Yes, yes they were lol. you ever seen the newly discovered culvert before?

(#14)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 06-04-2011, 17:05

Quote:
Yes, yes they were lol. you ever seen the newly discovered culvert before?
No ive not ive got a good idea where you i think you mean though. And id be surprised if anyone else has, so by rights you get to name it.

(#15)
Old

Default 06-04-2011, 17:51

Quote:
No ive not ive got a good idea where you i think you mean though. And id be surprised if anyone else has, so by rights you get to name it.
Yes its very very very well hidden, i lived near there for 15 years and never found it. Will be going through it soon with snakeoil if you want a look

(#16)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 06-04-2011, 18:05

Quote:
Yes its very very very well hidden, i lived near there for 15 years and never found it. Will be going through it soon with snakeoil if you want a look

yeah yeah i might bob up with you if im not doing owt its only 2 mins form where i live.

(#17)
Old

Default 12-04-2011, 00:15

Fascinating pics of that old culvert! I had a good look through the gratings into the tunnel but never spotted the culvert and I walked the entire length of line from the A6 to the M61! Will have to be extra observant next time round. On the trackbed itself, there's an old railway telegraph pole with all the porcelain insulator pots, but apart from that, I found little of interest, bar the old loco in the scrapyard that is sadly rusting away. Would love to explore that culvert. Is there anything else round this area (my stomping ground) worth looking at?
(#18)
Old

Default 12-04-2011, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Fascinating pics of that old culvert! I had a good look through the gratings into the tunnel but never spotted the culvert and I walked the entire length of line from the A6 to the M61! Will have to be extra observant next time round. On the trackbed itself, there's an old railway telegraph pole with all the porcelain insulator pots, but apart from that, I found little of interest, bar the old loco in the scrapyard that is sadly rusting away. Would love to explore that culvert. Is there anything else round this area (my stomping ground) worth looking at?
Yeah not much to see on the old line itself, there is a coupleof interesting formations if you follow the line down through hulton park on google maps. Im from four lane ends and I know the area very well, well I thought I did until we discovered the culvert