NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Asylums & Hospitals
Reload this Page Pool Park Feb 11
Asylums & Hospitals Pretty self explanatory this one.

Pool Park Feb 11
(#1)
Old

Default Pool Park Feb 11 - 14-02-2011, 18:14

History

Pool Park was brought to the Nedham family by Eleanor Bagenal, daughter of Sir Henry Bagenal (see many internet references) and widow of Sir Robert Salusbury on her marriage to Thomas Nedham in 1601.

It was for some considerable time one of the seats of the influential Salusburys, one of whom William Salusbury, of Bachymbyd, stoutly defended Denbigh Castle during its seige by a portion of Cromwell's Army. Pool Park passed by marriage with the last heiress of the Salusburys to Sir Walter Bagot, an ancestor of the present owner around 1670.

In 1826, Pool Park was re-built in a half-timbered, mock-Tudor design, this was when the staircase was installed, relocated from another house.

Sir Henry Tate leased the house from the late 20's until it's purchase by the Districy Health Authority in 1934. Pool park hospital was opened in 1937 as a convalescent home for up to 80 male patients, increasing it's capacity during the war. A POW Camp 38 was established on the grounds, the remains of which can be seen to the north, The Red Cross visited in 1943 and listed 750 prisoners, though there's not much left now than just foundations.

In 1949, Pool Park bacame a Mental Health Hospital and also accepted women. In 1989 the hospital closed and in 1992 the house was sold to Roberts's Homes, the builder and landlord responsible for a large number of the wider area's flats and care homes. Expensive changes to comply with planning's wishes, by modifying the driveway where it meets the B5105 Cerrigydrudion road, did not result in the expected planning permissions some years ago. It has remained empty ever since.

Pool Park is a listed 2* building in a grade 2 listed landscape.

Explore

A solo visit at dawn, well I would have been there at dawn if it wasn't for a comedy slide on my arse into a stream. Anyways, this place is great. I was really taken by the peace and quiet of it. And depsite the typical welsh rain, the house looked fantastic in it's setting. Wandering up through the overgrown gardens it was a delight see.

Water ingress has started to damage the place quite badly, heavy rain that day showed that quite a considerable amount was making it in the the first floor corridor. I heard few loud bangs, creaks and knocks that very much sounded like something buckling under pressure, so I expect that corridor to not last long.

I know this place has been a bit of a tourist spot recently, but I was surprised when a group of eight or nine turned up, bold as brass and lacking any sort of soundproofing. They were photographers on a shoot complete with models. They even parked their three or four cars in front on the main gate.

So I left them to it. I've tried to keep it the photos a bit fresh (apart from a couple), though I need to go back and cover a bit more of the place. And that chair is getting about a bit.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by 54Strat; 14-02-2011 at 18:16.
(#2)
Old

Default 14-02-2011, 20:23

Great report, some of the woodwork looks amazing.
(#3)
Old

Default 14-02-2011, 23:17

Nice report and awesome pics, I'll have to put this place high on my list.

Oz
(#4)
Old

Default 14-02-2011, 23:43

Some great shots there. Nice one
(#5)
Old

Default 15-02-2011, 00:00

Some ornate stuff in there. Is there ever any attic spaces for people to explore in these places?

It never had existed.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 15-02-2011, 00:23

spot on that fella top shots
(#7)
Old

Default 15-02-2011, 09:49

some nice shots there, definitely makes a change from the norm with this place
(#8)
Old

Default 15-02-2011, 09:52

nice pics them mate

Believing in a better world, where chickens can cross the road without there motives being questioned
(#9)
Old
Administrator

Default 15-02-2011, 12:37

Nicely documented woodwork, top pics as per usual. Ill have to put this on the to do list
(#10)
Old

Default 16-02-2011, 13:32

Thanks for the comments guys, after a few months of doing nowt it was good to get out and do something.