NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page ARCHIVE - Clwyd Alloys, Mold - May 2009
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE - Clwyd Alloys, Mold - May 2009
(#1)
Old

Default ARCHIVE - Clwyd Alloys, Mold - May 2009 - 18-05-2009, 17:41

First explore and first report.

This was quite an easy and chilled local explore. I had a great time moochin about and getting to know the new camera, and though there's a few mistakes I made with it, there's still heaps to learn.

Although this place has been gutted when it was vacated there's no real sign of vandalism even after 7 years, just natural dereliction. After spending a few hours here over the last week or so I found it to have a real organic charm. I'm sure this place has been done before, though I couldn't find it with a site search on here so here's a bit of history just in case...

The site was originally the Gem Brick Tile and Terra Cotta Works Company and locals still refer to the site as the 'Gem'. In 1901 it was voluntary wound up and the Alyn Brick Tile & Terracota Company took over. The chimney was added in 1911 (built by Ephram Jones). By 1916 the plant had closed and it was then refitted as a silica works by Colin Steward Ltd. Local hard silica sandstone was taken from a quarry above the site and transported in trams down a cable tramway (there's still the remains of the winding houses up in nearby fields) The stone was then ground down to powder that was used by Lever Bros as the scouring agent in 'Vim'. The plant produced 600 tons of powder per week which was transported by rail from a private siding. The silica dust by-product was diverted to the chimney where it was captured by a water spray and piped to a nearby pond where it solidified and reclaimed the pond and marsh back into land. Colin Stewart Ltd closed when Levers ended the contract in 1959, More recently, the site was acquired by Clwyd Alloys, and was used as a foundry for the reclaimation of scrap metal. The site closed in 2002, and outline plans for housing have been submitted.

There's numerous structures dating from all periods with up to three floors in places. There's what looks like a couple of vibrating tables, hoppers and other left over bits and pieces that were probably too bespoke to be used elsewhere. Water for the plant was taken from the Nant that flows underneath the site and there's a handful of access points for this. There's also an old Pooley weighbridge, dated 1948 that's in great condition.

Last edited by 54Strat; 26-05-2009 at 01:34. Reason: updated img links
(#2)
Old

Default 19-05-2009, 00:31

Thanks for all the positive comments people, it's really encouraging.

I've only had my DSLR for a week or two (though years ago I had a canon SLR) so any C&C is really welcome. I know I've got loads to learn, least of all about how limiting the kit lens can be in small sheds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisey View Post
Nice write up and pics, did you get any upskirt shots of the chimney?
Next time I'll try, I'm only 5 mins down the road so I'll be popping back soon no doubt. To be honest, it's not that obvious when you're inside to find where the chimney is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n10694 View Post
Good report !

I was only around the corner last week looking at Ffrith Viaduct and the loading staithes for the Bwlch Gwyn Silica Mine tramway.

There is so much industry in the Coed Talon area to see, the list is endless.
It was actually your link on sallybear's Star Crossing thread to a thread of mine on another forum (Mold Narrow Gauge?) that gave me the kick up the bum to register. I've got some copies of old pics of Star Crossing that I should scan and post.

Some more pics...

Last edited by 54Strat; 26-05-2009 at 01:36. Reason: updated img links
Closed Thread