NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Leisure & Other
Reload this Page Stretford Tower, Stretford, Dec 2010
Leisure & Other Religious buildings, Swimming pools, Hotels, Railway related stuff.
Or any other places that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Stretford Tower, Stretford, Dec 2010
(#1)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Post Stretford Tower, Stretford, Dec 2010 - 13-12-2010, 22:36

I haven’t posted for a while and though this was a bit of a fail, it’s probably worth sharing. Someone mentioned to me last week about this block being unusual insofar as it had a common room and launderette on the top floor. I couldn’t resist a look, though I think when the tipster saw it, it had much more retro washing machines in-situ.

I can’t find much online about the block, not even the name of the architect, but it was known as ‘Perry’s Folly’ after a former Borough of Trafford engineer. The 25 storey block was constructed by Matthews and Mumby of Denton between 1965 and 1966 and officially opened in 1968.

I had no plans about access, but stumbled into a team of contractors almost finished on site with loads of subbies running about and just waltzed in and straight up. There was no obvious roof access other than the locked doors at the head of the stairwell and the door out to the washing line area. A couple of nice chaps were there installing a new vending machine in the common room and we had a short chat about social housing and why there are no towers built anymore. So, fail on the roof, but curiosity satisfied.

externals

view from the common room

launderette

view from launderette

tumble dryers

the drum and beetham tower

old trafford

washing line

peace
NMB

photos here too