NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Asylums & Hospitals
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Denbigh, March 09
Asylums & Hospitals Pretty self explanatory this one.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Denbigh, March 09
(#1)
Old
Long Haired Member

Arrow ARCHIVE: Denbigh, March 09 - 10-03-2009, 22:28

Continuing my explores of sites everyone else has done to death I made it over to Denbigh at the weekend with a couple of freinds.

Seemed a popular visit as we bumped into a few other explorers around the place.

I'm sure you all know the history but anyway....

The North Wales Lunatic Asylum was the first psychiatric institution built in Wales; construction began in 1844 and completed in 1848 in the town of Denbigh. The U-shaped Tudorbethain style hospital was built due to the spreading word of mistreatment of Welsh people in English asylums; The North Wales Hospital would be a haven for welsh speaking residents to seek treatment without prejudice or a language barrier.

n 1960, Enoch Powell visited the North Wales Hospital, and later announced the "Hospital Plan" for England and Wales, which proposed that psychiatric care facilities be attached to general hospitals and favored community care over institutional settings. This was the beginning of the end for the North Wales Hospital and others like it; in 1987 a ten year strategy to close the hospital was formed. The North Wales Hospital was closed in sections from 1991 to 2002; most notable was the closure of the main hospital building in 1995.

On July 12, 2004, The Prince of Wales visited the hospital and administered a speech detailing his Phoenix Trust, a historic building trust that prevented the structure from being demolished. The hospital is currently slated to be converted into private homes. Asbestos abatement has started October 2008.

October 2008 also saw the filming of a Most Haunted special live, traces of this are still around the site.

Not long after the Main hall was destroyed by arson.

cheers for looking folks.
(#2)
Old
Ralphy

Default 06-05-2009, 05:51

There's my shots to this visit. In the right place! I was also on a very 'on the piss' photo mood today. Let me
know what you think.

Cheers, D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/engdom/...7614996758746/
Closed Thread