NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > General > NWEX Special Interest Groups > Bricks, Brickology and Brickophillia
Reload this Page Tudor brick with clay pipe inside it
Bricks, Brickology and Brickophillia A mini site dedicated to the humble brick, by those dedicated enough to collect them!

(#11)
Old

Default 15-04-2009, 12:32

I collect clay pipes so that to me is very interesting indeed! I have been to Dunham Massey countless times and you'd think it would have been discovered after so many excavations in the past. Lovely find!
(#12)
Old

Default 15-04-2009, 19:21

Join the Scottish Trust, they're in dire financial straits right now and need all the help they can get. Plus it gets you free access to all Trust properties around the world.
(#13)
Old
I hear voices in the dark

Default 15-04-2009, 20:29

Found this today whilst walking with my dog and spade, does this mean it's an really old brick or has it been heated? Don't know the first thing about the world of brick origins... loads of rips and holes in the inner and very strand like texture. Might help me work out hat something is too

Also from the same location, if anyone has any ideas...

Its deep but now very light down there... ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
(#14)
Old
Owd Cocker

Default 15-04-2009, 21:33

I never knew all this commando activity was goin on at Dunham Massey!

Coal Not Dole
(#15)
Old
Romanian1

Default 16-04-2009, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalboard View Post
I never knew all this commando activity was goin on at Dunham Massey!
Oh god yeah, i even have my own private entrance at the end of farm walk.
(#16)
Old

Default 16-04-2009, 19:02

I can get you into Lyme no problem. Though its a bit dodgy these days, the head ranger is also a crack shot with a deer rifle.
Old hand wedged brick
(#17)
Old
Owd Cocker

Default Old hand wedged brick - 16-04-2009, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx Centor View Post
Found this today whilst walking with my dog and spade, does this mean it's an really old brick or has it been heated? Don't know the first thing about the world of brick origins... loads of rips and holes in the inner and very strand like texture. Might help me work out hat something is too
That old brick shows the clay was hand wedged, bit like when you're kneading bread dough. In ceramics when you wedge the clay you are trying to get all the air bubbles out, in bread making it's the opposite. That metal structure is a timber clamp say off an old gate or whatever.

Might sound a pain in the bot but I studied ceramics for 3 years, building kilns, making and firing pots, designing glazes, firing earthenware, stoneware, salt glaze and raku kilns, if anyone wants any info re pottery works and processes etc fire away

Coal Not Dole
(#18)
Old
I hear voices in the dark

Default 16-04-2009, 21:00

Thanks for that, I've been noticing all the different compositions and wondering if they were down to production methods or material (or a combination of both).

Its deep but now very light down there... ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
(#19)
Old
Owd Cocker

Default 16-04-2009, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx Centor View Post
Thanks for that, I've been noticing all the different compositions and wondering if they were down to production methods or material (or a combination of both).
Pre about 1880 you often find all sorts in bricks, stones, pebbles etc. By the time brickmaking machines come in around the 1880's the clay was usually screened and filtered first. You can still find 'common' bricks, machine made but with smaller bits and pieces in them

Coal Not Dole
(#20)
Old
Owd Cocker

Default 16-04-2009, 21:15

Whatever you do at Dunham Massey don't park on the road alongside the estate wall, you'll get booked because it's a Clearway (no parking). We've seen them swooping especially at weekends, in fact this week the police were there towing cars away. If you park on the lane which comes off the main road you are OK .

Coal Not Dole