NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Heritage and non Urbex
Reload this Page Cadishead Rail Viaduct
Heritage and non Urbex Non urbex related reports and places,
but still interesting and photogenic nonetheless!

cadishead railway bridge
(#11)
Old

Default cadishead railway bridge - 18-07-2010, 17:00

thats right,on the land at the bottom of the banking that used to be the cinder track.i might have got the date wrong but it dosent seem that long ago,since the freight trains were using it.at my age the memory starts to fade.i take it your from cadishead?i used to work over there at univar.
(#12)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 18-07-2010, 17:13

well unfortunately i'm living there, but i'm actually a salford lad.

Visit my blog NOW - www.dspexplores.com
paper mill
(#13)
Old

Default paper mill - 18-07-2010, 17:27

the paper mill is not to easy to explore as its in the process of construction at the moment and bulldozers and dumptrucks all over the place.its not very interesting at the moment,i prefere the old stuff anyway.ive got a few pics of the old B.P.terminal that used to be there.my grandad used to drive a shunter at the coal basin for the manchester ship canal company,untill the 60s when it closed down on the partington side.they still used the cadishead side to load ships with soda ash untill not so long ago,then they built univar.give me a shout if your going anywhere local in the near future,would like to tag along.
(#14)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 18-07-2010, 17:51

will do, i dunno much of whats about over there, i should have a drive over and have a mooch

(#15)
Old
" get oif mioy laand"

Default 18-07-2010, 18:50

Used to live in cadishead myself untill 2 years ago the reason for the containers was to stop gangs from caddishead & partington using the bridge as a route to raid each other and have mass brawls. The highlevel line closed at the same time as the route over latchford bridge due to the high cost of maintaining both . Traffic ceased to the low level oil terminal in 2000 as i signaled the last train to leave for port clarence whilst working at glazebrook box .The track the other side of the footbridge was lifted shortly after by EWS leaving just the ends of the runround and cripple siding at glazebrook the oil terminal is now under the A57 irlam bypass so little left to see apart from the fireless steam engine rescued from a local park repainted and placed next to the bypass extention .Have you gusy had a look at whats left of the statiön building at irlam still boarded up awaiting restoration last i saw also irlam high being rebuilt max be worth a peek .

"all for one and phuq the rest "!

"paddle faster i hear banjos"
(#16)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 18-07-2010, 19:32

Irlam station building is now privately owned, and is currently been converted into a house for a bloke called paul stevens, The last i herd was he was having money problems, there is a fence around the building and you can see through the windows all the builders stuff inside, but you hardly ever see any work going on on there.

the station has now been "re-opened" after spending the last 4 years with only 2 trains a day stopping here and none on sundays!

with regard to the dats you've posted, are you on about the same line as me? the dates quoted for the high level line is 30/11/1964 they say this is the date the last train ever used this line or crossed that bridge.. with regard to the low level line, that hasn't been used sinse 1879 as obviously there was no way for the train to get over the ship cannal.

with regards to the oil terminal, cadishead way is about 250 mtrs to the side of it, and not over it, it's just behind this sign..

that old fireless steam engine was used by the CWS soap works near the old boot factory, now a legoland looking housing estate. :-(

(#17)
Old

Default 18-07-2010, 20:57

so you worked at glazebrook box eh.as kids we used to spend time up carrington moss, in partington junction signal box ,watching the trains and talking to the signal woman.it was a different world up there,like stepping back in time.di you ever work at partington junction ?
(#18)
Old
Old Git

Default 19-07-2010, 23:38

@ Reddood - 1964 was the year passenger services were withdrawn, also freight facilities at the stations. Through freight from Skelton Juntion to Glazebrook (& I think through passenger diversions) continued into the eighties, when deteriorating infastructure forced closure, even though we had rebuilt Skelton Jct signalbox following a fire.
(#19)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 20-07-2010, 00:07

well that would make sense, but it must of been the early 80's, as i say, it definitely wasn't active from 1986 onwards as i used to walk my dog down the old line, and take that route home from school.

where exactly is Skelton Jct? is that the old signal box near carrington?

(#20)
Old
Old Git

Default 20-07-2010, 00:30

Skelton Jct was at the back of Newstead Terrace in Timperley, where Moss Lane crosses the line from Stockport. It was a three way junction, left to Arpley via Lymm, centre to Glazebrook via Partington, & right is the remaining line going round to Altincham.