NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > High Places
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Astley Green Colliery headgear...feb 2010
High Places Cranes, Rooftops, Chimneys, Towers, Masts, Silos etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Astley Green Colliery headgear...feb 2010
(#1)
Old
Stolenmoments

Arrow ARCHIVE: Astley Green Colliery headgear...feb 2010 - 21-02-2010, 09:10

We (Ojay and I) were driving down the east lancs road on Friday night heading to another location when out of the mist pops this....

The steel lattice headgear for Number 1 Shaft is the only colliery headgear remaining in Lancashire. The structure, which is over 100 feet 30 metres high, was built by Head Wrightson & Co. in 1912 and replaced the original wooden shaft sinking headgear and for those that have been up there , know that it is in need of a bit of T.L.C to make it last another 100 years..

The climb up was quite comedy , as we neared the structure we realized the site was full of caravans "oh shit gypsies"and whilst I thought the safer option was to shoot up the headgear ojay vanished back into the mist..

Next I see my battery light flashing and then as I route in my bag to my horror I have no spares with me , only to find them later in the night in another pocket
It is a stunning little head-gear and I for one hope it does last another 100years

You've got an infectious :)

Last edited by SoLo1; 21-02-2010 at 09:14. Reason: They were'nt pikeys by the way !!
Closed Thread