NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Leisure & Other
Reload this Page Shell Research Test Track/War Shelters + Bottle Tip - Stretton - Sep 2011 -
Leisure & Other Religious buildings, Swimming pools, Hotels, Railway related stuff.
Or any other places that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

(#11)
Old
is a 'member'

Default 22-09-2011, 23:27

Did you get to the Battle HQ on the opposite side of the Motorway? Not seen it for a while, Id imagine its full of water again.

Last time I was here, the farmer came over on his quad and told me to "go away" or words to that effect...

"Try again.......Fail again.......Fail Better!".............Samual Beckett.....
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 23-09-2011, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom83 View Post
Did you get to the Battle HQ on the opposite side of the Motorway? Not seen it for a while, Id imagine its full of water again.

Last time I was here, the farmer came over on his quad and told me to "go away" or words to that effect...
no mate i never ventured that far i think ive seen pics of it though flooded like you said
(#13)
Old

Default 26-09-2011, 11:49

really nice splore this dude
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 26-09-2011, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeweeman View Post
really nice splore this dude
cheers bud
(#15)
Old

Default 26-09-2011, 19:14

Worked around barley for years and often wondered about the shell test track, didnt know the shelters were there though, I also didnt know anything existed except hangars on the other side of the motorway......so what do the battle HQ look like......A brilliant report too THANKS so much for sharing it with armchair explorers like myself!!!
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 27-09-2011, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
Worked around barley for years and often wondered about the shell test track, didnt know the shelters were there though, I also didnt know anything existed except hangars on the other side of the motorway......so what do the battle HQ look like......A brilliant report too THANKS so much for sharing it with armchair explorers like myself!!!
yehh the bunkers are situated at either end of the runway/test track

i may go bk and have a look at battle hq if im round the area

cheers
(#17)
Old
is a 'member'

Default 27-09-2011, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
The Battle HQ is just a semi submerged Concrete box, that is usually filled shoulder high with stagnant water.

I was lucky enough to go a few years ago when it was only knee high, it really wasn't worth ruining a pair of trainers for. Especially without a camera. Every other time Ive been the water has been too high to go in.

Its the same at Widnes AA Battery, the submerged room there is always about 5 ft deep in dirty water, Ive been many times to see if its dropped to an explorable level, but it never has.

There was talk a few years ago on another forum about pumping them both dry, but I never heard anything else about this happening.

"Try again.......Fail again.......Fail Better!".............Samual Beckett.....
(#18)
Old

Default 30-09-2011, 15:18

I wanted to visit here a while back, my Grandad was stationed here during the Korean War. Looks really interesting, nice work!
(#19)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-10-2011, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxxyyy View Post
I wanted to visit here a while back, my Grandad was stationed here during the Korean War. Looks really interesting, nice work!
its a nice relaxed mooch and the bunkers making it more enjoyable
(#20)
Old

Default 20-10-2011, 01:57

Great pictures. My favourite is the single point perspective shot of the start \ finish line. It looks like something you'd find an old NHRA photo album.

This is also really close to me and I didn't even know it existed. :(
Drop me a PM if you plan on doing it again some time soon.