NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Moel Fferna Slate Mine - Jan 11
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

(#11)
Old
admin

Default 25-01-2011, 22:57

Great stuff chaps, this place looks good

....Take pictures and leave ONLY
(#12)
Old
Gobby w***er

Default 25-01-2011, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah View Post
i Need more torches , what does he use?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...mpaign=froogle

1,750 Lumens and for the really big chambers in Slate Mines, it's still not enough.

I'm planning 6,000 Lumens. (Yes, Six Thousand). It's a matter of Money to build it though, the Driver alone Is £50, LED's will be £60. Then I need figure out a way to heatsink LED's that are burning through 18A at full power. Oh, and mount this on a Helmet. I have one LED on order to test, and if it works out as I expect it to, the rest will be ordered to make it.

My Flickr
(#13)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 25-01-2011, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStuff View Post
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...mpaign=froogle

1,750 Lumens and for the really big chambers in Slate Mines, it's still not enough.

I'm planning 6,000 Lumens. (Yes, Six Thousand). It's a matter of Money to build it though, the Driver alone Is £50, LED's will be £60. Then I need figure out a way to heatsink LED's that are burning through 18A at full power. Oh, and mount this on a Helmet. I have one LED on order to test, and if it works out as I expect it to, the rest will be ordered to make it.

crickey 6000 lumen's you could almost grow stuff under that. That lupin is very expensive. I was looking at at some of the chinese ones on ebay theres a couple at 1600 lumens but a lot of people say they are not that good.

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#14)
Old
Gobby w***er

Default 25-01-2011, 23:42

You can get the Betty cheaper than that, but it was the first link to hand It's still not cheap, but it is bloody good though, and has never let EWJ down. The build quality is excellent, and he has the 1,750 Lumen upgrade... it's 1,500 as standard.

Mine will likely be handheld, for short bursts for photography and checking stuff out. Inless I pull something really special out of the bag of Technical Tricks, I doubt I can heatsink it for constant running at full power.

My Flickr
(#15)
Old

Default 26-01-2011, 12:20

looks fantastic as a splore, shame i can't abseil! Mind you my brother can, might have a look a bit further into this one...
(#16)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 26-01-2011, 13:18

you could just use an electron ladder, but theres plenty of mines which are walk in and dont require srt

Visit my blog NOW - www.dspexplores.com
(#17)
Old

Default 26-01-2011, 13:51

hmmm might have to do a bit of research on that front, any recommendations for areas?
(#18)
Old
Dood of redness

Default 26-01-2011, 20:33

well you're on the wirral, so north wales, there is literally hundreds of old mines in various states of dis-repair. as a general rule of thumb, the easyer it is to get to and access, the less there will be to see in there.

your best bet is to go wiht a few people who have done mines before, some can be quite dangerous

Visit my blog NOW - www.dspexplores.com
(#19)
Old

Default 27-01-2011, 13:27

fair enough i will have a look around and see what i can find, definitely think taking people with me is a good call though tbf. Cheers for that!